Computer freezes during heavy load everytime!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just built up a new pc

3.2ghz Intel
320Gb Maxtor
1G DDR Kingston
X1900 ATI AIW
500W Antec

Everything is fresh with all the drivers. Just installed Splinter cell double agent and Once the game starts the power supply kicks on the second fan and within minutes everything freezes and i have to restart. 500W is definitely enough to run this set up, well it should be. Any suggestions please?

Immediately after this happens check the processor temp in the BIOS, its likely too hot. Also check the Event Viewer to see if something is hanging first, because it could just be crappy video drivers. Upgrade your video card drivers and see if it still happens, if it does:

Remove heatsink/fan from processor, clean with 99% isopropyl, put down fresh layer of thermal paste, replace heatsink/fan.

You can add another case fan or 2 to help with the temps, but I'm sure there is poor contact between heatsink and fan if its climbing that fast and locking up (and isn't driver related).

Reinstalled drivers a few times, still same, i have 2 extra fans on the bottom of my case, and the power supply case one out the back and one at the bottom (right above the heatsink) but one thing i did forget is to put the paste on the processor... would it actually make that much difference with the paste?

my my intel box came with the cooling fan and the chip, with no paste. My mother board has this cover that you open, then you put the processor in, then you put the load plate down, so it presses down pretty good. If i was to put paste down would i put it down on the actual cover?

Are you talking about Thermapaste?

If you put thermapaste it will sortof... cool down the CPU a little bit and if you put the fan on it then you'll get more cooling for it ;)

Hello! I guess (for the description of the plate that press the CPU) that you have socket 775, I'm not sure if every CPU from Intel (775) comes with it but I bought a few and every single one came with a small thin layer of thermal compound at the bottom of the Heatsink, if your doesn't come with it I Highly reccomend that you apply a thin layer of Thermal compund it could make a HUGE difference, I just drop My CPU temp by 10c using Artic Silver 5 and a 3rd party heatsink.
Well That's about your CPU temp, about your Graphics Card, I read that it requires 30A on the 12v rail, how many Amps on the 12v rail does your PSU have? wattage is not the only important spec on PSU's. And I don't know if for this newer version of AIW is same as older ones but older versions aren't good enough for gaming as the ones that are not AIW.

check it out:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/aiw-x1900/index.x?pg=1

Yeah I believe you could buy some thermapaste from Bestbuy or CompUSA ( or any other computer related store ) for about $5

nickt916 said:
my my intel box came with the cooling fan and the chip, with no paste. My mother board has this cover that you open, then you put the processor in, then you put the load plate down, so it presses down pretty good. If i was to put paste down would i put it down on the actual cover?
WHOA! Whoa, whoa. stop right there.
We need to make sure you understand what we want you to do. The paste DOES NOT go underneath the processor or where the load plate presses down on the processor. You would lock your CPU into place just like normal, and then put a thin coat of paste on the exposed part that the heatsink touches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back