Computer Freezes! HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibra0078

Greetings!!

I have a P4P800 SE Motherboard with 3.0Ghz and 1Gb of Memory. I decided to reformat the system and install a fresh copy of Windows XP SP2. During setup the system rebooted randomly and it restart the setup again at 39 minutes left. I tried installed Windows XP around 3 times and the third time it installed. But know what happens is that I log into windows and when I go to install any software’s or even plug in my memory stick the computer freezes and I cant not do anything until I restart. I restarted again and still the same thing. I have changed the Memory on it and the Video card and still the same thing. I have unplug all unnecessary devices such as CDROM, Floppy, Second drive and still it did the same thing. The only thing I did not change is the CPU and the motherboard. Can anybody help me why the computer freezes even when I log in and just click on start it freezes sometimes? Please Help Thanks.

P.S. I had WINXPSP2 from before and it was working fine.

And you decided to reformat the system and install a fresh copy of Windows XP SP2 because.... ?

Freezes and pauses seem to occur most frequently due to infestations, defective drivers (possible in your case), bad memory module, bad cpu fan, heat sink has no thermal paste, or has filled up with dust, hair, and carpet fibers, and just plain old defective install, that lacks all the downloads and system updates. On Windows XPP, you can easily have a need for 47 to 87 updates from Microsoft Update.
If you did not do a full reformat from a cold boot, that is the likely cause... otherwise, I will check all of the above... since it worked before.
Unplug and reseat every component in your case.

The reason why I format it becuase it was going very slow. Im going to try to re-install xp again but I dont think that will do anything. I really thing the board is screwed.

Did you ever look at your cpu temperature? It is possible your heatsink isn't attached well OR the fan doesn't work wel or it's plugged with dirt like raybay said.

Also, have you checked the Q fan settings in bios to ensure that the fan is trying to cool the most - if you set Q fan incorrectly the fan won't try to pick up speed until it's too late).

The settings look alright in the BIOS. What I am going to do is to upgrade the BIOS to the newiest one on Asus site and hope that fixest the problem.

Read about what any newer bios offers BEFORE you do it. Unless you actually fix a problem, it isn't worth the risk (minimal but still risk).

If you MUST flash:

Create a floppy boot disk, download the latest afudos to it, and boot to this disk and run afudos to make a copy of your EXISTING bios (name it oldbios.rom).

Exit and remove the floppy and reboot.

THEN download the latest bios and copy it to the floppy naming it newbios.rom .

Reboot with the floppy in the drive and run afudos again and this time upload the newbios.rom .

Don't press anything or cough loudly when the afudos is running (haha).

Once again, exit and reboot and Bob's your uncle.

And, you can restore the old bios if need be because you have it saved on the floppy now don't ya.

gl

I went to Asus website and download the Afudos Tool and the newest BIOS version which is 1011. I created a DOS floppy and copy the two files onto the disk (Afudos and the BIOS file) There is no readme file so what switches do I need to use and how do I back it up. It said something like afudos /i (NEW BIOS) /o (BIOS_BACKUP)

I looked in the book and it said how to flash the BIOS. I will try this when Im done work and hope it fixes my freezing problem. Thanks Alot guys

Can it be the DIMM slots on the board is bad. When I changed the memory I inserted in the same DIMM slot as the ones from before.

can be the dimm slots - I have had the same problem with an asus board. Asus guys in UK are not too helpful but eventually it turned out to be a bad slot (on a brand new board). That was the second board that was bad-out-of-the-box.

Here is the deal. I flash the BIOS to the newest one out there 1011 and still it did the same thing, restarted during installation. I also did a memtest for about 1 hour and it came up with no errors. I had an extra socket 478 CPU chip and tried in the motherboard and same thing it stop at 10 minutes left. Each time I do the setup it stops at different times. The only thing left to change is the motherboard. What can be the problem?

Process of elimination.
Problem is, I cannot think of anything in the motherboard that would cause these sorts of problems.
That is a darn good motherboard with no significant history.
I guess I would blame the hard driver first, long enough to install to another hard drive... even a ratty old used one would give you some clues. You are more likely to find this kind of flakiness in a defective hard drive than in the ASUS P4P800.
Or, I would try your current hard drive as an install in another computer, using the other computer's version of Windows... If it works in the other computer, it is not the hard drive.
Have you talked on the phone to the ASUS folks? They may have some ideas based on other users possible problems with that board.
The entire problem is strange... but then, it is a computer...

I agree with you that’s anything strange can go wrong. Anyways I had an old 10GB drive lying around and tried it in that board and it did the same thing freezes during installation. Only two things left to change or to check is the board it self which I doubt it but it’s possible and the second thing is the power supply. Maybe it's not giving enough voltage (power) to the board. I guess I will change the power supply but first try another drive in the computer.

its to late know because I already started writing in this form. When I first started writing I did not know how to switch forms. Is there a way to move this whole form into the right place

The board itself doesn't need much power, but intermittent spurious responses from a defective power supply could affect some components, I suppose.
I still don't see from this list that you have attempted a replacement of the hard drive... which I would try before I bought a new power supply.

I did try another hard drive and it still gave me the same result. Only thing I did not do is change the board and the power suplly

Ok, enuff said.
I assume you have inspected the CD or DVD and it is not scratched or damaged.
Did you contact ASUS by telephone?

No not yet. So far this is what I did

1) Flash BIOS newest version
2) Memtest (PASSED)
3) Change memory also
3) Change Hard Drive
4) Change Video Card
5) Change Power Supply, took a working one from my other computer
6) Tried different WINDOWS XP CD
7) CHANGE DVD ROM
8) CHANGE CPU had an extra SOCKET 478
9) Add some heat Compound for heat sink

ALL OF THE ABOVE SOLUTION DID NOT WORK. I WILL CALL ASUS FOR SURE

Thank you for continuing to post all your efforts and analysis. We all learn from this sort of odd problem.

Okay I got another copy of Windows XP ans still the same thing. I have two drives and they are both Maxtor. SHould I try installing another type of OS like windows 2000

I have two drives installed and they are both Maxtors. I tried another copy of Windows XP still the same thing. I'm going to try installing some other OS

No, I don't see how that would fix the problem... other than that it might be a useful experiment. At this point, anything that works is better than what you have.

try resetting your bios to optimized settings and try it out also check if your heat sink and fan is seated correctly might be overheating which is causing the lagg or freez.

your clip might be broken so that can be the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back