Computer freezes, probably cause of sound, PLEASE help

Status
Not open for further replies.

boysangur

Hi, I would appreciate any help, I have been trying to resolve this problem for sooooooo long. My computer freezes all the time, I believe it has something to do with the audio setup but I don't know. This started as soon as I replaced my motherboard and installed XP on my computer. When I turn some program on that uses sound, my computer freezes, especially if it's a an audio/video file. I can't say what causes it to freeze because it can freeze as soon as I turn it on or not freeze for an hour no matter what I do. Before, audio used to sound kinda funny (it froze then too) but then I installed a new sound card and the audio sounds fine but the computer still freezes. When it freezes, the audio starts quickly repeating some small part over and over again and the mouse stops working, it just freezes in one spot but u can highlight and click on stuff with an invisible cursor for a couple of seconds before it completely freezes. Please help, it's driving me crazy and it's been going on for months, nobody know why.
My specs are:
Pentium 3, 1.2GHz
512MB ram
Creative AudioPCI Card

Honestly I'm not sure, but if you dont't find a solution, you can always do a reformat....that should help. Sorry I don't have a better answer... :-/

-Zach

do a, alt control delete, and check your processes
sounds like somethings hogging memory or cpu time
pull the sound card out and try playing your games with no sound
if it doesnt lock up
try diff pci slot if it's a pci card if not check for conflicts with the AGP
slot may be sharing IRQ with the USB or network port
and as always make sure you have a good power supply
seems like all these upgrades to faster MB's faster memory and loaded vid cards suck up power everything seems OK till you hammer the machine a little

Thanks for your replies guys. I tried formatting many times before and nothing changed.
My problem is that i know little about which processes should be going and which shouldnt so ctrl+alt+dlt does not tell me much.

"check for conflicts with the AGP
slot may be sharing IRQ with the USB or network port"
Im a noob so I completely dont understand what that means.. :blush:

I am thinking i got too much hardware on my computer. Among other things, I got two hard disks, a dvdrom and a cdburner. I tried disconnecting my dvdrom but then the computer does not turn on. I have changed boot settings to only look for a boot record on the C drive but it still won't go on. My computer won't even go past the first boot screen that says "SMART is capable but disabled" when i disconnect the dvdrom so I just keep it plugged...

This started as soon as I replaced my motherboard and installed XP on my computer. When I turn some program on that uses sound, my computer freezes, especially if it's a an audio/video file.

The clues are there....;)
#1 replaced mobo......Sure you used all the spacers and insulators all in the right places?....Thinking shorting here.
#2 Mobo got onboard sound? Could be a fault/conflict/driver problem there.....If so spend a couple of bucks on an XP compatible cheapo soundcard install it and disable on board sound in the BIOS...never trusted o/b sound anyway takes up too much sys resources... best have a dedicated card IMHO.
;)

Actually it does have an onboard sound, that could very well be the problem. Can you tell me how to completely disable it?

I entered BIOS setup but could not find the option to disable onboard sound. Do you think you could help me out? Im a noob like i said, sorry

Make/Model of Motherboard?

boysangur,

If you post the exact model of your motherboard, I'll check the documentation for it and reply with the method to disable your onboard sound.

C0d3Warr10r

Big Blue:
Asus P4P800 I865PE
P4 2.8GHz 800MHz
2048MB KingMax PC-3200
Maxtor DiamondMax 9 /160GB /7200RPM /8MB Cache
ATI Radeon X800 Pro
Enermax 420W PSU
Aspire X-Dreamer II
Lite-On 12X DVD+/-RW
Sony 48X CD-RW
Samsung SyncMaster 997DF 19" CRT
3DMark03 Score: 10,035

Does your motherboard have onboard sound? If so, you need to turn it off in BIOS if you are using a sound card. You could be getting conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back