Computer freezes then doesn't load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gday,

My computer has developed a problem lately - when I return to use it after it has been sitting idle for a while, everything has frozen. The keyboard and mouse do not respond. Once this has happened the only way I can switch the machine off is to turn the power off at the power point - the power button on the computer has no effect. The reset button does reboot the machine but it doesn't get far.

When I press reset or turn the power back on at the power point, the computer comes into life immediately, checks the floppy drive, CDROMs and then HDD but gets no further than this. The HDD light stays on for longer than normal but goes out eventually with no further activity after this. Also the monitor generally does not turn itself on as normal, although sometimes its power light does come on but nothing is displayed on the screen.

The first few times it did this I wiggled some of the wires inside the machine and the machine worked normally again for a while - however the problem is appearing again more and more quickly and wiggling the wires seems less effective.

My machine is old so I am going to get a new one, but I need this one to hang on until then - it is a P3 and is probably around 7 or 8 years old.

Any ideas anyone???

well you say it gets no further than the hdd so it may have died or the cables may have loosened.. remove them from the drive then clear the dust that may have accumulated.. then plug it back in again.. worked once for me... any more info you can give??

well if you're gonna get a new one then yeh.. but if you want that one fixed, check for:
psu - cheap/no name brand? the power enough for your system? use a PSU calculator to determine this - google
motherboard - check for any popped capacitors/leaking capacitors, any sign of damage or age
mouse and keyboard wireless or chorded? wifi maybe need a battery change
network connections ok?

can you also provide any other details of your pc and the problem? like ram, mobo, psu, OS etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back