Computer Freezes Up Randomly, Then Monitor Stops Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, last night I fell asleep with my computer on. It was working perfectly, but I had been tired and lazy and had just gone to sleep. I woke up at around 3 AM and was too lazy to wake it up and turn it off, so I stupidly just held the button down and shut it off that way.

This morning I wake up, turn on the computer and all seems well. Until after about 10 minutes (playing Warcraft while I'm telling this story), the computer completely freezes up. I can't Alt F4, I can't get my process manager to show up, so I'm forced to restart it cold. It then happens again (and not only when I'm online with Warcraft).

How it goes is it goes COMPLETELY frozen after a while, whether during boot up, or while on desktop view. Then, the screen goes black, yet the CPU shows as the computer still on (Green Light is still going).

I ran a System Restore to the 6th of the month, but it did nothing concerning this issue. I'm not sure if that eliminates a Software Issue and keeps Hardware in question or what...

Can anyone give me any input? I'm not code freindly or anything, so if you guys could keep it "lamens" termed and any advice as to where to go?

Thanks.

Laymans terms....:)

1st thing to try would be a checkdisk, seeing as it had a bad shutdown.

Boot it up, go into "My Computer", Right click on the "C" drive, select Properties, Tools, Error Checking. Tick BOTH the boxes, and hit OK.
It will prompt to reboot, do so, and it will check the Hard Drive for File Errors, bad sectors etc.

Hopefully that'll do the trick

Help!!

Did you ever get resolution to this issue?? I started having the problem like 2 weeks ago and it's killing me that I cant figure it out. I was thinking RAM maybe or even the power supply but I dont know.

Aything?

Thanks!

If you can't get in long enough to start the CHKDSK, you can try Safe Mode {Press F8 a few times after the POST Screen and take the top option}, or boot from your Windows CD and use the Recovery Console {You'll be asked if ou want to use the Console}. in that, type CHKDSK /F , thats CHKDSKspace/F

Hi Diddly, Ned.:wave: Try the CHKDSK 1st, if it finds no errors, run Memtest. If it finds heaps, run the Diagnostic for the Hard Drive - it could be faulty.

Check the CPU heatsink for excessive dust as well. If it's cutting out only after a certain amount of time, it could be cooking.

Hooray!

I thought that I would just let you know that I think I might have this thing licked. I tried everything and nothing was taking care of this then I upplugged a couple of the accessories that I hooked to the power supply and it came right back up with no problems. Hopefully that did it. I just have to try replacing the supply now then. That could be a sign of it going south on me. Who knows.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back