Computer freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai

Lately I don't know why, my computer has been freezing up a lot. The mouse just stops and I have to power it down. Then turn it back on. It did it twice in the last 10 minutes.

No idea what is causing this, but maybe one of you do?

Mine did this when my power supply was dying.

However, it could be one of a million things...but thought I'd throw that out there.

This is normally a PSU problem, although it can be the RAM being bad. Download memtest from here and unzip the file. Burn the ISO onto an empty CD and boot the PC with it. Let the test run overnight and see if it generates any errors. Otherwise, replace the PSU. If it restarts so frequently that memtest isn't able to run, replace the PSU immediately because it may blow anytime, taking other components with it.

It doesn't restart, it just freezes. And it's not my PSU because I just bought a new one.

If you're sure it's not the PSU, do what Rage_3K_Moiz said about downloading and running Memtest. Bad RAM could cause this. If it doesn't find any errors, maybe you could post a HijackThis log (as per these instructions). Then we could see if it is a virus/spyware problem.

Regards :)

Try BS (being specific)

It will be helpful if you detail what worked until it becomes frozen.
Some major landmarks:
Bios splash screen - power, video, bios ok (minimally)
Windows splash screen - hard drive has some life
Login screen/desktop - almost there

Just describe it how you see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back