Computer freezing issues *mostly only in games*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno what the problem is but my computer likes to freeze while running programs like computer games. I also have issues on the side with freezing when trying to run programs that use memory for long ammounts of time like adaware and when compressing for over 20 mins in winrar. I have no idea what the problem is but it was still there when I reformatted. It isn't my video card is it? I looked in event viewer and one program does come up alot consistantly. Under system its described that IPSEC services had a problem because the authentication services where unknown. If anything that would be the problem with the computer freezing if it had to do with errors since its the only thing that comes up ALOT. The problem isn't isolated to only CD games though it also occurs in games like doom. I have an AMD athlon processor with 901 mhz 128 mb ram Nvidia Vanta LT card.

Well that depends. Originally way back in 2003 I had issues with warcraft III for a time when it would freeze just with that, and then eventually it ended up deminishing itself to the point where it finally froze during a system restore which damaged an important file. I use a compaq presario and I happened to have a model where the restore disks they gave you where useless, but I got free replacement cd's through the mail because of a class action lawsuit. After I restored the computer everything seemed ok I guess. I eventually sent the computer OS to windows xp pro *Originally came with ME* and the issue eventually came back out of no where after updates where made I presume, I didn't have any problems until I got internet again. I reformatted and it still had the issue afterwords and the problems been currently going on for about 1 month if you exclude the past episode where the computer killed itself.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Maybe you have a ram problem.

Download and run Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org

Let it run for at least seven passes. If you don`t have a floppy drive there is an iso version that you can burn to cd and boot from that.

If that checks out ok then maybe you have a psu problem. What psu do you have?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

well I ran the test and I think I have corrupted ram or something. To make sure it occured at the same spot I ran the test three times. In the middle of the test with a pass of 79% test 2% test #8 Testing 112k-128m Pattern:FFFFFFFF-8 it would just stop. I dont think the computer froze because the little bar blinker was still blinking and so was the little dot or + sign I frogot was also still blinking but the test just stopped there. If my rams damaged is there any way to repair it?

Hbardsparky said:
I have an ...Nvidia Vanta LT card.

Ok I'll be the first to say it. You need a new video card. Regardless if it is actually the video card causing the problem you need a new one. I'm suprised you can actually play games on that thing. It's rather doubtful that any games made recently actually support that card. As well 128 MB of ram is extremely low for 'system' ram. My theory is as follows. The video card is too old to run .. ok anything in 3D for any period of time.. eventually it just crashes from the load. Two, your running out of physical ram due to an improper system setup and that is causing the other programs to crash etc. Go buy a stick of 512 MB of ram for real cheap at newegg.com, get a new video card there too. .. To balance out an Athlon 900... I'd say anything more powerful than a Radeon 9600xt is probably a waste of your money. Cheers.

-A-

Lol I got the computer back in 2001 and I mostly only play older games like diablo II/warcraft III/Return to Castle wolfenstein/ect. and they ran smoothly so the ram and video card arent an issue, instead of just upgrading it'd be more efficient just to buy a new computer at about 500$, the 900 mhz processor is entirely to slow to play any of the newer games if I wanted to. Im not really looking into the new computer games until I get a new computer but until then what I have is just fine. Heh, if you want slow you should see my 95 packard bell lol.

Hbardsparky said:
well I ran the test and I think I have corrupted ram or something. To make sure it occured at the same spot I ran the test three times. In the middle of the test with a pass of 79% test 2% test #8 Testing 112k-128m Pattern:FFFFFFFF-8 it would just stop. I dont think the computer froze because the little bar blinker was still blinking and so was the little dot or + sign I frogot was also still blinking but the test just stopped there. If my rams damaged is there any way to repair it?

Ram cannot be repaired but you could try taking out the stick or sticks of ram and cleaning the contacts with an eraser. Blow off the remnants and replace the ram. If that doesn`t help then maybe new ram is in order.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

hey new

My Brand new Computer is freezing like crazy when i try to play any games, use google earth and watch movies. Why is this? is it a problem in side the computer it self like a loose wire? how can it be fixed? if you can help lemme know via email james_posta@hotmail.com thanks

Hey could use some help

I like to watch fanstubs and such on the internet, and everytime I do I my computer ends up freezing. Also when i play games It freezes after awhile. I have formated my drive twice and reloaded windows but to no avail. I got this computer from a friend, and he has had no problem with it. He used to play WoW on it constantly. Please help and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back