Computer freezing when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farenall

ive just bought my computer brand new its had a few problems so far but easy enough to fix but now that its actually up and running when i try to play games my computer just freezes i think its overheating but when i used my hardware monitor spftware i got with my AMD Atholon 64 +3000 and it says my MB usually about 28 C and my CPU is between 25-28 C when i play games it just freezes after about 5 or 10 minutes sometimes i even get about half an hour but i minimized it and checked the hardware monitor and it said my CPU rose to only 31-35 C and my MB rose to 30 C what could be the problem all the fans work perfectly i have a Fan in my Powersupply on on rear panel and on on front panel and on on my CPU and graphics card.

Could anyway help me please?

You could try testing your memory. Sometimes bad memory can cause issues.
Here's a memory testing program.
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Also, an underpowered/cheaply made power supply can also cause problems. Do you know what psu you have (brand/model/specs)?

the memory tested ok and yeah i think my powersupply is a cheap one got it with my case for free and the case was pretty cheap only about £21 the computer works perfectly untill i play games and i just can't see the problem thx for your time in advance

well its not my powersupply anyway i tried my old dell powersupply and it def works cause i used to play battlefield 2 all the time on it and i put it into my new case and tried battlefield 2 and didn't work

I don't completely understand your last post, did the dell psu fix the issue or not when used? What are the specs on the dell psu? What system did it power previously?

NP now the dell psu didn't work but my new one seems to have fixed it some how i just put it back in and everything was fine thx anwyay

sorry actually false alarm its not fixed the game just lasted about half an hour this time has anyone had this problem before?

Im in college at the mo and ill just tell you my specs off the top of my head

CPU - AMD Atholon 64 +3000
MB - Asus K8V-X SE Socket 754
Ram - 768Mb (ordering 1 gb when my comp fixed)
Graphics Card - Geforce FX 5200 PCI 256mb (ATM still need to order a new one but don't want to until this is fixed)
PSU - i dunno what my PSU is it was supposed to be a 400w but it says on the rear panel were the PSU is 230V

if you need anymore details plz ask

Thx for help in advance

well i remember seeing 10A on it so it should be around 400 watts then does that take away the theory of my power supply not being enough power?

similiar problem

im having a similiar problem, my comp specs are amd 3700 san diego, asus a8n sli deluxe mobo, stock cooling for case and cpu, 1 gig corsair xms ram, 120 gig seagate sata150 drive and pci xpress 6600gt. Im having problems with my computer restarting in the middle of games or when im idling at desktop, i checked asus probe when i reboot and the temp seems to be at a normal lvl. Ill test ram when i get home tonight but i have no idea whats causing this(btw i have reformatted using 2 different windows xp discs and that has not been the issue)

yeah same ive reformatted my hard drive about 5 or 6 times just hoping it will work me and my mate looked around the inside of the comp last nite but he says everything looks normal and my temps have never went above 35 C even when playing games they just freeze but i seem to be getting on my games longer now because i got on for half an hour this morning when i was playing battlefield 2 ive already tested my ram and they passed does anyway know anyway programs to test if it could be my cpu or even my motherboard? even tho they both brand new about 2 weeks old maybe

I have had this problem for quite a while now...
I have tried virtually everything like driver clean and re-install, memtest, updating bios, resetting the cmos battery, removing the front fan grill, using the PC with the side off, cleaning all the fans etc etc....
I've come to the conclusion that it's my PSU. I have a thermaltake case (which I got because of the crashing) and I had a hotspot on my graphics card right in the corner...one thing you may consider is the airflow in your case?
I taped back all the cables that were blocking airflow (didn't help me but it may help you...and your case looks tidy) I've realised that I'm running 7 fans, an audigy breakout box and a 6600GT 256MB graphics card on a 550watt generic PSU...which I'm guessing is why my PC and card are overheating...something maybe for you to consider?
I'm looking at getting a thermaltake purepower 600w ATX2....surely that will give me enough juice?

hi A-thru-Z and welcome to techspot :)

are you asking a question or answering one?

this thread is over 3 months old
. if you have a question you should start a new thread, otherwise you should read the dates on the threads ;)

Hi KingCody (does your name have anything to do with MST3K?)
Thanks for the welcome!
I actually found this thread through a google search and didn't check the dates I'm afraid...just thought I'd give farenall my opinions on why his may crash during games as I've tried countless suggestions that haven't worked and was saying that it probably is a PSU issue as I suspect mine is, I thought my 550w PSU was enough but on reflection it probably isnt.
As for asking a question...yes I was, about getting the thermaltake purepower 600w, worth the cash or are there any other alternatives?
I do have some other questions about my crashing problem but I'll save that for another thread after searching around the forum for the answer if I dont find it...have to get some sleep as its 3.45am here...
take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back