Computer Freezing :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roamex

Hey,

This is my first post with this site and I look forward to learning as much as I can and sharing my knowlegde with everyone else. The problem I am having well one of them anyway is PC freezing. Its at random times but only seems to be when playing games :-(. That for me is a big problem. I THINK the problem is that I am using a nvidia chipset and a ATI card but well see.

SPECS:

Asus A8N-SLI nForce4 SLI
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sapphire Radeon X1600XT 256MB PCI-E
Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 Heatsink (works great)
seagate 320GB HDD sata2
Western Digital 250GB sata2
Western Digital 120GB sata
OCZ 1GB (2x512MB) PC-3200 DDR400 Dual Channel
OCZ PowerStream 520W SLI
plus 6 fans to movve air around good quality fans

Now I did try and fix it myself but had no luck. It is currently overclocked a bit and temp is at 38°C idle and maxed at 45°C with load. I have reverted back to stock settings in bois and still deos not help just makes my computer slow. I can not update bois because there is no new ones and I have the latest drivers. My voltage is sitting at 1.47 and is automatic determind by my bois. I have done bench marks with 3d mark 06 and it geos though fine and I can do burn in test on all my hardware fine.

So why deos my games lock up when playing games and not when doing other things? and how to fix problem?

Hi & Welcome to Techspot!! :)

What is your video card's temperature? Those X1600 cards tend to run a little hot :hotbounce

never thought about that one. I don't know because I don't have a temp reader for the vid card at all. I do have two fans plus the onboard fan blowing away at it and its not overclocked at all.

I am going to try underclocking it :-( just to run some test and see if that helps any other suggestios if it don't work?

Download speedfan it might pickup your graphics card temp. On my speedfan the graphics card is called Core.

i know this might sound trivial
but have you checked the fan to make sure thers no obstructions ?
i had a simmilar issue a while back and as it turns out one of the cables had wedged into the vidcard fan

thanks guys lol

I never even took that into acount that the video card was over heating because the fan it has looks good and i have two other fans blasting it. i guess the way its set up the two fans blasting it are not good enough and the fan on it is just horrid. i used ati tool and let the card run at full power for about 5 minutes and it crashed at 75 c lol. I can run test on my cpu and nothin happens so found the problem. pretty bad that they can not provide a fan that will cool itself when stock lol. guess thats wut i get for buying a sapphire and not a BFG.

Anyway Thanks to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back