Computer frequently crashes when....

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI! i have some issues with my computer here. First, my computer always hangs/freezes.
Then i would have no choice but to restart.
This happens a few times a day and only happens when i'm downloading something or when i surf the net and enter some websites. e.g. skysports.

The moment i enter the website, it hangs. And if i close a website that's having a video loading halfway, it will hang straight away. (happens on both IE and firefox)

i have a speedbit video acc. installed in my com. i'm not sure if its the problem. so i tried going to youtube and load a video, while its loading halfway, i closed it,and it still hangs even though the speedbit acc isn't running. :s

can anyone tell me what might be the problem here and how to solve it? thanks.

i ran a memtest and found that my rams are working fine. And i uninstalled speedbit video acc. however, the problem still occurs when i'm in the progress of downloading something.

my com specs:
xp sp2
MSI LGA775 motherboard
processor: intel(R) Platinum(R) D CPU 2.80 GHz
video device: RADEON x550 secondary
physical memory 1527mb
hard disc 80GB

How are you connecting to the net - guess you are in UK so are you still using a modem? Could be that the drivers or the hardware for whatever you use to connect to your ISP needs an update or replacement.

Hello,
First, do you have enough Free HDD space? your HDD seems a little bit small for nowadays apps. And if there's not enough space there could be a problem related with the hangs.
Second, it could be a corrupted plug-in that ables you to play video over the browsers, try update to the most recent versions of IE or Firefox
Last, if nothing of that solves the problem maybe the program you mention has taken attributes to "handle" video and that is causing the problem and sometimes not even uninstalling will solve the issue, may be solved until all registry entries are gone from that program.
I hope this helps, GL

sorry for the late reply, as i'm having my exams.

anyway. albert, i'm using a router. How do i check if they need replacement?

rmd151, i've got around 19GB free space. is that still considered enough space? for ur second point, if i have the most recent version of IE, could i have any corrupted plug-ins? if so how do i check them?

However, will reformatting my hard drive solve all problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back