Computer harddrive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, just a warning...Im a total noob and know nothing about computers. Anyways, I have a old computer of mine that I want to put back in action because i was a backup. I think it has a virus on it or something because when I start the computer it brings me a scan check then after that it says and error has occured and I need to restart my computer. Then if i hit ctr-alt-delete then it brings me to a new screen that says things such as log on normal, safe mode, promt, ect... So what I wan't to know is what should I do. I want to make it so that my computer is like its brand new. I wan't no programs on it except for what it came with. Please help me. P.S- Its an IBM with Windows 98 on it. Thank you so much!! :D

Ok, So i ran a product recovery today. I thought it worked. But after I typed in the product key and then it went to install drivers it can up with a illegal opperation and then froze. So i restarted it again and it just keeps coming up with illegal operations and freezing. So I don't know what to do. Please help. Thanks

Are you talking about one of the manufacturer-specific diagnostic utilities listed in that thread?

What were the results of the diagnostic program?

I ran a diagnostic program that came with the computer....Its on a disk and its the same disk that had the recovery thing on it. Everything passed..

So what am i supposed to do with that? The problem is that I can't access the internet or anything on the computer im trying to fix. I can't even get to the main screen with all the icons. Although one time i did get to it through safe mode....but then it froze on me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back