Computer is running slow and other problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

arran

my computer is running alot slower then other computers i use with lower spec. i dont have alot of software,games,files and other stuff that could be slowing it down any ideas for the reason why it could be running so slow. i had a problem where it kept crashing which seemed to be solved when i changed the ram to the slot for single memory but it was quite slow then. the specs of the machine are below. simple things like switching tabs takes a good 5 secs and sometimes tabs will minimize by themselves or close.

Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe SKT939 RD580 Crossfire ATX
Western Digital WD3200JB 320GB Hard Drive 7200RPM 8MB Cache - OEM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.0Ghz) Dual Core Socket 939
CRUCIAL 1GB DDR 400MHz/PC3200...

You could open task manager and see what is maxing out first, is it your cpu usage, memory? Look at the paged memory to see if maybe your pagefile is too small.

A lot of times this can be caused by a running program eating up resources, sometimes these running programs can be malware related, or norton antivirus, I would suggest that you first read Is your system infected? Read this before Cleaning or Formatting

Then follow Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions exactly, then post the requested logs in the security section of the forum which can be found HERE

i have run virus checks my cpu usage very rarely goes about 60% and my page file usage is low. the largest use of resources is when i run firefox which hits about 113k ram

anyone got any ideas im really getting fed up of waiting for my computer catch up with what i have asked it to do and constantly pressing ctrl+alt+del to get it to do much

If nobody else wants to take a stab at it. A few things come to mind. When was the last time you defragmented the harddrive? last time you scanned for errors?

one thing you could try
command prompt-> type chkdsk and press Enter

If errors are found, an error message will appear
To repair errors with the disk, at a command prompt, type chkdsk /f/r and press Enter

The other thing is when you go to control panel -> administrative tools -> Event viewer have you had any recent warnings or errors?

under event viewer there are quite alot of warnings about userenv(event number 1517) could that be there reason. the discription of it is

(Windows saved user ARRAN\arran1 registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account)

i will try a disk check now as well

i have run a disk check doesnt seem to have made any difference and running a defrag now

seems to have helped a bit it might be that i have quite a few things together that are causing the problem to be as bad as it is

You may try to remove some unwanted applications that are resident at startup and that have icons in the task bar to the right:
click on START/RUN/MSCONFIG and click the startup tab and uncheck any application that you have installed and is resident (you can always run it from the program if you wanted) Do not uncheck any application that says micrsoft in the description. Give it a try
Good luck

thanks blind dragon that program seems to speed up my computer quite alot after i restarted it . thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back