Computer is screwed..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, been reading others posts in hopes to find the answer to my own question but I guess posting is just more convenient. I have never had any problems with temps in my computer other then when putting it together - ever. This is the first time the stupid thing is screwing up.. anyway, this is how it went. I had about 9,000 virus's on this thing, they snuck in before I could install any anti-virus on my comp when I reformatted acouple of months ago. Things just went downhill from there, and I mean.. really.. really downhill. Last night I finally had enough when the virus's hindered my game play during a league match for Counter-Strike so I ran 2 different virus scanners and deleted as much as I could. Unfortunatly, they came back in about .5 seconds. I restarted my computer, loaded up my usual programs (mIRC, Ventrilo, Steam, and.. Internet Explorer) but the internet explorer wouldnt run. I asked my teammates repeditively what was wrong and one, who happened to work at intel, told me my computer was probably over heating. So, brushing his advice off, I was ready to reformat. I restarted my computer.. and it's crashed ever since. If I let it sit for awhile, I can maybe get 20 seconds in before it shuts itself off. Sometimes I get that siren noise from inside the computer warning that the the temp is too high but sometimes I don't, which is why I don't know if its the temp or something else.

I have the normal processor fan on it, I reapplied heatsink today, I have a huge fan in the back pointed at the processor, I installed 2 small computer fans inside the computer, I have a fan on my video card, and I have a small portable fan pointed into my computer from the outside. I dusted it throughly last night. I never put the sides of the computer on because I was always adding new things.. so I know that the inside computer temperature can't be caused by the casing..

What is wrong with this POS? Lol, I just bought all the parts in December of '05.. any help would be great. =]

let it sit and cool down, then turn it on, go into the bios and watch the temps. press del to get there. lets hope they stay below 65c or 70c. and when it turns off quick feel the cpu heatsink to see if it got remotely warm.does it even POST??

holy ****, my computers temp right when i start it up is 120+ degrees CELCIUS!!! what the hell?!?! lol

btw, my computers turn off temp is 255 degrees celcius for some reason - should probably change that.

how should i bring my temp down =[

When you removed the heatsink and put it back, did you remove the old thermal paste and re-apply new one? Also, the back fan (in an ATX case) should exhaust, while front fans intake. You have it in the opposite direction and it's against air-flow.

The air flow is correct, I checked it after reading your post.. and yes I removed the original heatsink and re-applied it. The rest of my temps when I turn the computer on are normal.. except the processor. I honestly think it's just fried because how could my system temp be something around 20 degrees celcius but my processor be 120 :|

Your computer CANNOT physically be 120 deg celcius on startup. It is physically impossible. I believe it may be your BOIS measuring the TEMPERATURE incorrectly and therefore shutting itself off. Once again, your CPU cannot physically be 120 deg c on startup. Set your Auto switch off higher... Just to see if it will work.

Regards,

Korrupt

you could also tell your bios to ignore the cpu temp and do nonthig if it gets hot because if it is saying it will shut off at 255C i already see a problem, those temps. alone are enough to melt plastic, silcone, etc. and he was sayin when you took off your heatsink did you apply THERMAL PASTE.?? is it a thick sticky goo.

Sounds to me like your mobo can't read the CPU temps correctly. Your computer shutting off when your shut-down temp is 255 deg Celsius should be your first indicator. Telling your bios to ignore cpu temps is not a good idea because what happens when your cpu DOES overheat? It'll cause physical damage to the mobo and cpu and possibly void any warranties in place. My recommendation is to see if your mobo is still under warranty. If it is, try to get a replacement or, at the very least, have it sent in to be fixed.

Also, have you tried to update your BIOS? There may be something buggy in your current version and an update may help clear it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back