Computer keeps crashing only when running games or randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
"i built my desktop about 3 years ago for the purpose of gaming and just a good computer to use (didnt have that 2 hour crashing laptop then). so i bought all the parts off newegg and put it togther. now i installed everything but i cant get games to work and it proceeds to give me a BSOD. in the process of 3 years. i have sent in my Mobo 3 times to Abit sayign that something is wrong, they sent it back. I ran tests on the ram, nothing came up. changed the graphics card 3 times. had AMD replace my CPU once.

after three years, i got more skillz in computer driver issues and i am positive that i installed eveyrthing correctly this time. yet it still crashes when i play games, sometimes it doesnt crash all the way (BSOD) it just quits out of games saying that there is a critical error and it must be closed. i checked the heat and everything and nothing is over heating."

everytime i play games, it eitehr just BSOD's me or the game quits saying that there was a critical error. Normal programs like firefox and AIM also bug out alot, it makes the cpu run at 100% and i have to open task manager to close it manually.

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 18171717, parameter3 a81d5988, parameter4 00000000.

after posting that in another forum and got little response. i went on the good old google to do my own researching. Many say that it is a driver issue, which i highly doubt because i changed EVEYRTHING on my computer. i even took out the soundcard (which caused another error...). others say it is a ram issue, i ran memtest86+ and got flying colors. but i hear memtest doesnt find all of the errors and i might have to get more ram anyways.

im just making sure, do i need to buy new ram to fix this problem?

Processor: Amd Athlon XP 3200+
Mobo: Abit An7
Memory: two sticks of 512 ddr 400 ram pc 3200 (kingston's VALUERAM... sigh)
Graphics: im not quite sure... i changed it alot, i think its the ati radeon 9600
Soundcard: i ditched that and started to use the internal mobo one
cd drives: i have 2, but i forgot the speicifics of them. ones a normal cdrom drive, the other is a dvd burner
Powersupply:480 Watts

here are about 5 minidumps too

SYMFW.SYS a file in Symantec Firewall is one of the files causing your crashes. Uninstall Norton and use a free version of AVG and Zone Alarm. Also KMIXER.SYS caused a crash which is a sound card driver. If after you remove Norton you still get blue screens then uninstall your sound card, delete the drivers (while in safe mode) then reinstall the card and drivers.

note. i have unistalled and reinstalled windows multipul times over the course of 3 years and this is only the first time i install nortan. still doest work either way. when i took my audigy soundcard out, i renistalled windows again. completly refomatting everything and i redownloaded the drivers every time

Try a different sound card then. I'm just telling you what the minidumps told me.

this is also the first differnt sound card that i have been using. im using the on board mobo sound card. audigy card cauesd more errors

well. i got a differnt error when i ran my game. either the game crashes, saying that it had a critical error, or the bsod

One of the dumps references WUSB20XP.sys, this is a linksys USB adapter driver. As all of the programs that are crashing are internet based (Firefox, Norton, Gunz) then this may well be the problem. See if you can find an update for this driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back