Computer Keeps Freezing, Randomly,happens when im brwsingweb/instntmsging/email/gamin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunnySang

Hello,
Im pretty sure many of you have seen this topic many times. Well i have ready many topics and countless google searches, and still can not resolve the freezing.

To start off the story, one day my computer started smelling like smoke and would not turn on. I did not know what to make of it soo i had to take it to the shop. The shop guy told me it was "most likely" the graphics card (Nvidia BFG 7900 gt/oc). I sent the card to bfg, who in return sent me a Nvidia BFG 7900 GTX/OC. The shop installed it, but said they would need to reinstall windows because they were having problems with the drivers. They reinstalled windows, updated all the drivers, but when i when i called them, they said that it was sporatically freezing "Only at the begining when windows is started up after the desktop or it would not freeze at all" . I took my chances (i was getting pretty anxious because i had call of duty 4 sitting in front of me and it had been a month since the comp had been inactive) Everything was fine and dandy, it froze acouple of times, ayeah i didnt mind it was only the begining minute after windows hit the desktop, but yeah...... now it does it randomly, whenever it feels like it. I'll be on the web and it freezes. Ill be talking on instant messanger it freezes, I was writing an e-mail and it froze. The most annoying is when i play call of duty 4. Ill rank up in the middle of a match, just to have it freeze and me having to redue the ranking.

Specs-

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar 80 gb 7200 RPM
Mother Board - MSI K9N Diamond Socket AM2
Video Card Old - bfg geforce 7900 gtoc 512mb pci express x 16
Video Card New - bfg geforce 7900 gtxoc 512mb pci express x 16
Power - coolmax 650 W
Processor - AMD Athlon 4200 x2 (dual core) Socket AM2
Windows - XP Pro
Ram - Corsair 1gb (pc2 6400) Unbuffered

I really appreciate your help. I would love it if the many smart minds on this forum can save me a trip to the shop. Thank you very much.

Sunny

hmmmm

Go to task manager and click on the performance tab. What % usage does the CPU Usage box show and what does the PF Usage show? Also have you checked the temperatures of your hardware?

the percentage usage goes up and down, up and down. It looks like it goes from 2 to 3 to 0 to 4 to 2 to 5% etc. Now its staying 0%.

Temperature wise, i downloaded a program called sensor view. It labels the temps as
cpu - 12C or 54f
gpu - 39c or 103f
sys - 25c or 77f
aux - 40c or

-it just froze, luckily firefox saves tabs

aux - 40c or 104f
hdo - 14c or 58f

aye i give up, it keeps freezing. Last straw was when i was reading the instructions on how to use memtest. Its going back to the shop tommorow.

Thank you all for your time

Sunny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back