Computer keeps rebooting in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exonimus

yeah.. so.. my good old gaming pc has some problems. I've been running it perfectly for more than 2 years, reinstalled windows only once, and my guess is that it's time to do so again. The thing is, my computer suddenly reboots when running any game. It might take a few seconds, even at the game menu, it might take a minute, but then it reboots. I already disabled automatic rebooting. There's no error message, at all. I haven't recently purchased any new hardware. the current hardware has always worked. About a year ago I inserted a 7600GS and a new cooler, but it has been working great for the time. I can rule out the overheating problem. I have a zalman CNPS 9500CU cooling my amd athlon 64 3000+ venice. It's usually running a bit over fourty degrees when stressed, so that's no problem at all. I've got a zalman vf700Cu for my graphics card, has also not posed a problem. The temperature is around 57 degrees, not sure what it is ingame, but it's kind of unlikely to just start overheating. if I remember correctly it's about 70C, but then, I cant test it now..
I've blown the dust out of my case, also to no avail. I'm not sure what else I could test before reinstalling windows. I don't think it's my power supply, because of the fact it has been running so well for years. From the top of my head, it's an Antec, but I need to recheck that.

For the rest, my system specs:
Amd athlon 64 3000+ venice(s939)
Asus A8V-deluxe
1GB ram(kingston hyperX)
antec power supply(500/600W)
160GB harddisk(seagate)

if you need any more information , just tell. I'd love to have some quick replies since my plan was to go to have a small LAN party with a few friends. Obviously wont work if my pc keeps rebooting in games :p

so any advice would be appreciated, otherwise, I'll reinstall windows

oh, forgot to mention. I'm running windows XP x64

Hello Exonimus and welcome to Techspot.

I would like you to test your ram. Please go here and download memtest and then follow the guide on how to use it once downloaded.

Regards Jase :)

cant run the script on my x64 windows. I guess it's time for a windows reinstall since I'm pretty sure I must have messed something up :p

never mind, it's solved. Not sure what the problem was, but I reinstalled windows and everything works like a charm :D

That's the mystical thing about computers: sometimes if you remove and replace the hardware, a major 'housecleaning'....everything works fine and we have no idea why.

yeah, so, the magic didn't seem to have worked out so well. I've been using the(freshly installed) pc for 3 days, no problem at all, games work perfectly, etc. However, I was just gaming for like 15 minutes, bam. reboot. In other words, the problem is probably back :S anyway, is there any memtest like program for x64?

hmm yeah, (sorry to keep posting in my own topic) after the pc had rebooted twice during the same scene in the same game, I decided to raise the vcore voltage a little bit(from 1.4 to 1.450v) I thought 1.425 was standard.. but anyway. The game has run for a long time without rebooting..(it has not rebooted at all afterwards) I'm not sure if that was the solution to the problem, but who knows... strange though, that after installing windows and having it run fine for awhile, suddenly it started again. I'm still not sure whether I really fixed the problem...

also: I ran memtest86+ for an hour. No single error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back