Status
Not open for further replies.

Skutty

I'll start with my specs:

3.2Ghz Pentium 4 Dual CPU
1280MB DDR RAM
240GB HDD
128MB Radeon X300

Now, as the title inclines, my computer likes to restart and/or completely lockdown, replaying the last milliseconds of sound for eternity until I pull the plug. It's usually during playing a game, especially one with a high system-toll, but some times it does it when I'm running Dreamweaver and Photoshop at the same time, both heavy system-toll programs. This situation is getting quite annoying; when I try to run the new Starship Troopers demo, my computer freezes just a few seconds into the game, and when I run the Age of Empires 3 demo, the system restarts before the game even opens!

I thought this might have been a RAM problem, as on the rare case the computer would save itself from restarting, I would get a "memory cannot be read". My computer has four 256MB Infineon cards, so I replaced one with a 512MB Kingston card - and yet, half an hour into turning my computer on, it locks up when trying to open another program.

So what are the usual culprits and what can I do to try and stop this happening? Thank you greatly for your help. :)

Unfortunately I couldn't try the ram tests because I don't have a floppy drive! The power supply is a Bestec 200-240V, only just found that out - looks like it could definitely go for an upgrade.

LOL. Yep. I think an upgrade is in order there! This could very well be the cause of your problems, in fact I am surprised you were able to boot up at all! :eek:

your power supply is WAY underpowered. Most new systems do poorly with less than 400W. Get a 450W PS.

Tedster said:
Get a 450W PS.

That would definitely be a good idea. :haha: I had no clue it was that underpowered, this is a HP system that I've been upgrading. And just when I was planning to get an external temperature monitor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back