Computer Makers Sued Over Hard-Drive Size Claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
A group of computer owners has filed a lawsuit against some of the world's biggest makers of personal computers, claiming that their advertising deceptively overstates the true capacity of their hard drives.

According to the lawsuit, computer hard drive capacities are described in promotional material in decimal notation, but the computer reads and writes data to the drives in a binary system.

Read more: Reuters.

Wow, this sort of stuff gets on my nerves. Why do people do this? Just to make a point? Is it really that big of a deal that the data goes on in binary form instead of decimal?

Just someone out there trying to make money, or a point for no reason.

It should be noted that most if not all HDD documentation has it clearly stated that the capacity of the drive will be less than the capacity stated.

I don't see the problem, the only people who seem to have a problem are those "average consumers" who think they are being ripped off. But these are the same people who always think they are getting the short end so to speak. They are also the kind of people who make videos of themselves then sue the world over it, or sue car companies because they flipped their SUV while doing 80mph, or they sue fast food companies because they are fat...

This kind of thing makes me sick.

Get a life.

Too many nutters walking the streets, shooting people, dealing drugs, etc. And we can't put THEM in jail because we our courts are so tied up with this kind of rubbish.

Remember the fat people who tried to sue MacDonalds (was it?) for making them fat? Because they didn't put a health warning on Big Macs, or something?

Man, the world is INSANE.

Does the winner/do the winners of people that sue other companys get money for it? Maybe thats why people sue big companys over things like this.. becasue they can ;)

yep and while we are talking about *****s I must restate my belief (that others have brought up too) of removing stupid warnign lables, if people don't inherently know the danger or somethign then oh well, natural selection. Now I'm all in favor though of warning labels that label something thats not inherently obvious, but those obvious ones should be removed. And any lawsuits regarding them should invoke the penalty on the person suing rather than the ones being sued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back