Computer much slower after reboot and format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

First post n all so ... errm hi!

Now im not so technically minded when it comes to the inner gubbinz of my PC so I throw myself before you in quest for help.

Earlier this evening I assume I contracted some sort of virus that meant every time I got to the start of my profile (i.e. click my name, loads desktop) it would sort of hang, and load all the desktop again.... ad infinitum. Nothing I could do, even in safe mode.

So I decided to start afresh, Im using XP with service pack 2. My PC is a couple or 3 years old.

Now everything seems to be picking OK except for my processor which is running at about half speed from what I remember before. I cant even scroll down on here without it hanging.

My processor is an AMD 2200 as I recall. Its actually clocking at around 1,100 Mhz. Is that right? Im sure it was higher before... If not and its not my processor, whats changed?

Any help much appreciated!

Ta

CobaltViper said:
Did you install your video card drivers?

Not as yet. I fugured the first thing to try and fix would be the processing speed.

Will give that a whirl after all the auto updates have ended

Hello, seedyted, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, the CPU speed is set in the BIOS, but if you just reinstalled Windows then it shouldn't affect that.

What model CPU have you got? For example, there's the AMP Athlon, Athlon XP, Sempron, Athlon 64, and a few more. AMD 2200 could be one of about 6 different CPU's ;)

apologies, I was having trauma loading things and scrolling through. Will get that all filled in though.

Its an AMD Athlon and Im in the UK.

Graphics drivers have improved things but im still concerned.

I did go into the BIOS (hit delete on startup) but im sure i didnt save any changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back