Computer Nightmare - Not quite a crash but now unusable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2 year old Sony Vaio with Windows XP. Everything was fine until two days ago. I downloaded a photo off of a PhotoShop site. It sat on my desktop not as a folder but as a 1 and a half inch by two inch photo.

As I was finishing my work, I thought I'd click the photo off by selecting the "x" in the minimize maximize off menu that formed the top border of the photo.

Unfortunately I hit something else and the photo became my wallpaper.

I forget what I did to get my original wallpaper back, but at that point, when I saw my original wallpaper back, I thought everything was fine.

I then decided to go to the start menu and use the search function.

While searching for a file, the ominous dialogue box came up saying that there was an error with the Windows Explorer end of things and did I want to report it to MicroSoft?

I did not do so then, but later on, again when trying to use "Search" I got the same message. I decided that I'd never be allowed to use Search again unless I reported it, so I ageed to do it. This triggered AOL online to start, but AOL was confused about what it considered "an unrequested URL" and
then AOL froze.

I tried everything. Could not get AOL to minimize, turn off and shut down or anything else.

So I turned the computer off. When I attempted to re-boot, the computer came up in a different manner than I have seen before. It asked as it was booting if I wanted to hit F8 for a reboot in safe mode.

Not doing that, I would get a black screen, with a small white border, a cursor AND NO WINDOWS START MENU.

I then tried turning the computer off, rebooting and choosing the safe mode. But then when it went to the new screen, it asked if I wanted to proceed the normal way, oir if I wanted to choose a method that might not preserve my recoverable data but would allow safe mode to occur.

The whole language throws me.

I am confused big time.

If I choose this second option - does that mean that all my data is lost that is on my hard drive?

WhenI turn the compuer off, my original wallpaper flawshes at me for a brief second. So I know all is not lost.

But what do I do?

Carol Dagg Sterritt

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

does that mean that all my data is lost that is on my hard drive?
No, not necessarily. Follow this THREAD
If your system is recoverable this link will help you to.
If you are un-able to recover, then you'll need to consider other options.
However go very slowly with this, don't just jump into fdisk or reformat
just yet..

G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back