Computer not receiving packets from router

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a router in my house that goes around to 4 computers and share the internet access. (I have the router connected to the modem)

Yesterday, one of the computers' internet stopped working.
I renewed the IP, tried re-plugging the cable, but those didn't fix it.

I plugged that computer's cable into another computer and it connected to the internet... so I'm guessing that it's the computer's problem.

The computer recognizes the cable when I unplug/plug it in. It says that LAN network is connected. But on the status screen it says that I'm not receiving packets. (something like 724 sent, 0 received)

Does anybody know what's causing this problem?

(Sorry if I don't know the technical terms.. I'm not very good at using technology.)

In the Network connections, are the TCP/IP properties set to "Obtain an IP address automatically"?
What make/model of router do you have?
What IP do you get, when in a Command-box you type: ipconfig /all

IP not renewing correctly?

I have a LinkSys router... I don't know exactly the model...
Both computers are set to obtain IP automatically.

On the functional machine the IP is 192.168.1.148
On the non-functional machine the IP is 192.168.1.145

When I renew the IP on the non-funtional one, it still renews it to 192.168.1.145 (As opposed to telling me that it can't be renewed)

Another weird thing is that on the non-functional computer the physical address turns out as FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF.

Thx guyz

Looks like your Network Interface Card (NIC) might be shot.
From a working PC, try to ping the baddie. In a command session type ping 192.168.1.145
Ping a known goodie from the baddie as well.
If you can, try and swap the NIC or at least reseat the NIC. Perhaps move it to another slot, further away from the AGP-slot.

in windows you can change your mac address. If someone did this you should be able to get it from the nic. I think all nics are hard stamped with the mac. You could try changing that. In case you don't know, a MAC (Media Access Control) is the 'Physical Address' you see in an ipconfig /all output.

I would think that realblackstuff is correct though. It very well may be busted.

Ping results

Ping 192.168.1.145 from goodie --> fail
Ping 192.168.1.148 from goodie --> ok

Ping 192.168.1.145 from baddie --> ok
Ping 192.168.1.148 from baddie --> fail

Does this mean anything?

thx guys 4 all ur help... i think i'm gonna go get a new card...

If your NIC doesn't have a valid MAC address it shouldn't be able to ping anything but it's self. Likewise other machines on your network will not be able to ping it. Because really communication occurs on an ethernet network via MAC.

Have you checked the card to see if it has the MAC on it? That is the FF-FF-FF-etc hexadecimal number. Of course it shouldn't be all F's.

If you can find out what it should be on your NIC you should be able to change it in windows....that is if you are using windows. I'm sure there is a way to do it in Linux, or Apple as well.

try updating the router's firmware to the latest and greatest. access said router via internet explorer and you may be able to fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back