Computer not seeing external hard drive or usb 4 port hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexgray

Both devices when plugged into USB port appear in "Device Manager" but not in "My Computer", why should this be?

Try deleting/disabling them in device manager.Disconnect them from computer,shut down,reconnect both,then Start.Might solve problem.

I have uninstalled both devices in Device Manager, unplugged them and then replugged them into USB ports, but still not appearing in My Computer.

Not sure if I understand what you mean by shutting down first? After uninstalling and unplugging the devices I restarted the PC and tried plugging the devices in again, but with the same result. As soon as I plug them in the both appear in Device Manager under Other Devices but not in My Computer.

When I plug them into my laptop they immediately appear in Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers and the hard drive also appears in My Computer, likewise when I plug a memory stick into the 4 port usb hub it registers in My Computer as a removable disk (E).

does your desktop and your laptop have the same file systm? ie; are both formatted NTFS or Fat32?

also is this 4 port hub an eternal hub? if it is have you tried plugging the external hard drive into the usb port on the rear of the computer?

alexgray said:
Not sure if I understand what you mean by shutting down first?
Just to clarify-Delete devices from device manager,unplug devices from computer,switch off computer,plug in devices,start computer.

The last suggestion on the list you sent appears to be the answer, but a bit to technical for me to attempt. I would require detailed instructions on how to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back