Computer Not Starting Up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I'm new here, so if this is the wrong section or broken any rules please forgive me.

Anyways, the problem with my computer is it will not start up. Period.

The problem started about a week ago when I was going to restart my computer. I turned it off then when I turned it back on...nothing! So I thought maybe my computer was overheated so I left it off for the night and the next day I tried again but failed.

When I plug it in, the motherboard light is Green and the HDD light is Orange. Usually when I press the power button the HDD light turns Green and the computer starts, but when I press the button the light stays Orange and the computer does not start.

Everything is in nice and tight. There are no weird colorations on anything, and everything seems fine. I looked around on Google and found that it may be the PSU, so today I went and got a new one. I put it in, plugged everything in and to no avail, it did not start. I still have the same problem!

When I hold the power button it makes weird beeping noises. I've looked on the beep guide for my computer and nothing seems to match this noise. I've uploaded a clip of the beeping to see if anyone else reconizes it.

My computer specs that I remember off heart are:

Computer: HP Vectra VL800
RAM: 256MB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 OC 128MB
Harddrive: 40GB

I haven't recently added any new hardware to my computer (Well other than the PSU today). The last thing I did to it was put in a new graphics card back in November of 2006.

If you need any other specs let me know, these are the only ones I can think of right now.

Attachments

• BEEPING.zip
    20.5 KB · Views: 17
Yikers O_o;

That is a VERY strange sound coming out of your computer...
It sounds as if your computer is trying to process data but cant.

First thing first: Open up your computer and find where the start button is on the case. There should be a wire connecting it to the motherboard, make sure that is plugged in right. Maybe the button's not working? Pull out the pin and use a screwdriver to bridge the two start up pins and see if that starts the computer.

umm...hrmm...

Something must've happened when you shut down your computer. Did you install any new software? Something might've been corrupted.

That's all I can really think of at the moment.

Oh! And welcome to TechSpot :3 Glad to meetcha!

Tom Mask said:
Yikers O_o;

That is a VERY strange sound coming out of your computer...
It sounds as if your computer is trying to process data but cant.

First thing first: Open up your computer and find where the start button is on the case. There should be a wire connecting it to the motherboard, make sure that is plugged in right. Maybe the button's not working? Pull out the pin and use a screwdriver to bridge the two start up pins and see if that starts the computer.

umm...hrmm...

Something must've happened when you shut down your computer. Did you install any new software? Something might've been corrupted.

That's all I can really think of at the moment.

Oh! And welcome to TechSpot :3 Glad to meetcha!

Well I never installed anything new, I've had the same stuff for a while...I always see people talk about that thing with the screwdriver, but I don't understand how you would turn on the computer if the button isn't connected :p Unless when you plug it in, it will boot itself?

And Thanks! Glad to meet you to!

Edit: I tried out the screwdriver method and after about 2 seconds it just makes that noise I attached, then it stops for another 2 seconds and makes the noise again untill I unplug it.

I have the same problem with my VL800

My computer just started making the same noise. I was attempting to install a Zip drive and afterwards the computer started making the same noise that you uploaded.

I tried disconnecting all other devices and changed out the video and swapped out the memory. Nothing stops that horrible noise the computer motherboard makes after press the start button.

I hope someone has a solution.

Thanks,
Jeff

jbjenterprises said:
My computer just started making the same noise. I was attempting to install a Zip drive and afterwards the computer started making the same noise that you uploaded.

I tried disconnecting all other devices and changed out the video and swapped out the memory. Nothing stops that horrible noise the computer motherboard makes after press the start button.

I hope someone has a solution.

Thanks,
Jeff
to jb enterprises: do NOT piggyback on threads. If you have a problem, post it as a NEW thread unless it directly related to the thread you're reading.

to jcke13: Bios beeps indicate hardware failure. Read: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic95391.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back