Computer or Video Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had problems w/ no video when computer starts. I just installed a new video card and now get video. But then when I start my system after its been off for a while there will be no video, I restart it and video then appears. I can restart, shut down and startup as many times consecutively and I will have no issues. But when I start the computer after its been off for more than a couple hours I will again get no video until I restart it. Any suggestions? Could it be another video card issue or is it my system?

Let me elaborate a little more, when i cold boot I can see the boot sequence (detecting drives and memory) then when going from that screen to the Windows XP loading screen (Windows logo) it just stays black. The system and the monitor is on but nothing but black. When I then reset I will again see the boot sequence and then the I get the msg that there was a problem booting Windows and asks me if I want to start Windows Safe mode or normally, etc. I did just install a new video card and a new hard drive (Maxtor 160 GB) I read that over 130 GB should be set a certain way or it can cause problems. Does that apply to XP?

I did just install a new video card and a new hard drive (Maxtor 160 GB) I read that over 130 GB should be set a certain way or it can cause problems. Does that apply to XP?
I think you've found your probable problem..

Proceed to booting into Safe mode. Uninstall the drivers for your old video drivers and if needed, use a driver cleaner software. Reboot and install your new video card's drivers.

And about the hdd thing, as long as you're updated to the latest updates (sp2 mainly) that shouldn't be a problem..

Thanks for info, as far as I know I dont think there are any other video drivers on my system because i formatted my computer after I installed my new hdd. The only driver I installed was for the video card I currently have in it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back