Computer problem after CPU swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

My buddy's computer was not booting and I was trying help him figure out the problem. I tested my graphics card in his machine. Then I tried to test his CPU a Sempron 3200 in my machine which has Sempron 2800, both socket 754. My machine would not boot with his processor. When I turn the machine on I see the graphics card screen, the fans startup and the system makes its normal beep, but after that nothing displays to the screen. The hard drive does not sound like its spinning and there is no way to get to the BIOS. Then I put my processor back in and the same thing happened. My computer was working fine before this.

I have tried a few things. I cleared the CMOS. Reseated the processor and reapplied thermal compound. The system makes error beeps if I turn it on with out the graphics card or memory installed. I also checked the connections.

Does anyone have any ideas. Should I replace either the processor or the motherboard or both.

Thanks for you help

did you first update the bios before installing in the new processor? Sometimes an update of the bios is necessary.

You did make sure that any extra 4pin molex was plugged into the mobo didn`t you? If that`s not the problem, it`s possible putting a faulty cpu into a good computer can fry the mobo.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks for the replies.

Do you think the processor that was working before is ok. Or should I replace that too?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back