Computer Problem. Need Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am new to the forums so I hope this post is in the right spot.

I built a computer two summers ago with pretty nice hardware, which should be available for you to see in my profile.

Recently it just crashed on me (completely locked up)while I was playing World of Warcraft. I hard-restarted and got stuck at the windows loading screen (several attempts to this end).

I then reformatted and re-installed windows xp. I am on the desktop now, but it keeps freezing on me. Every time I come back to my computer after the screensaver has been up, it locks up completely. Also if it is idle for a period of time such as 30mins or so, it does the same thing.

I have re-installed World of Warcraft, and have been trying to download a patch from their website (475Mb). Internet Explorer keeps freezing my computer (the downoad box turns white and I can not click anything or open the task manager or anything).

Does anyone have an idea of what these symptoms might mean? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Steve

you need to do a whole load of tests to find out what is going on here.
Start with these two:
1. go to www.majorgeeks.com - search for and download everest and check your temperatures and PSU voltages.
If your temps are high or fans are running slow - clean out the box of dust bunnies and clear the heatsink.
If your volts are off target - replace the PSU
2.find and go to the website of your HDD maker - download their diagnostic software and run the big test - if it fails it is your hard drive.

Thank you for the timely and informative response. I am running those tests now. I also noticed something else I think is worth mentioning:

There is a green light and an orange light by my power button on my tower. I just noticed that in addition to the green light being on, the organge light is also on. I have never seen that on before - I assume that means something is not working properly inside?

-Steve

Hi
The second light means theat your HDD is being used (as in this case you are testing ...)
regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back