Computer problems! Had major problems and am needing help

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP! lol

Ok, from the beginning... I downloaded a program called PC MightyMax and it COMPLETELY screwed up everything on my comp. Here's a list of everything I noticed that it did to my computer.

1. Destroyed all my file associations so NONE of my .exe files would work
2. On my right click menu, my "new" catagory was empty
3. "my computer" takes like 5 minutes just to open
4. My start bar would crash
5. 2 of my best cleaner programs now say "invalid library"
6. I downloaded some other registry cleaners and one found over 5600 errors
7. Some programs are like "my computer"... takes like 5 mins just to load
8. my CPU useage was 100% all the time even after restarting

I cleaned the crap outta my computer using a ton of programs and used a ton of registry fix files to get most of my stuff back. Now my problems are...

1. "my computer" takes like 5 minutes just to open
2. Some programs are like "my computer"... takes like 5 mins just to load
3. I just noticed my DxDiag menu shows "Problems were found in the system registry. Details are available in the saved text file." on about 2-3 different tabs.
4. Some of my programs crash giving the error message "invalid library"
5. every (exactly) 10 seconds, my cursor changes to "loading" for about 2 seconds\
6. Windows Update gives an error

Anybody have any ideas of how i can fix the remaining problems or check my computer for any other problems still remaining?

Here's some info for u about my PC.

Windows XP sp2
Dell Dimention 2400
640 MB Ram
2.4 intel celeron
256MB Nvidea GeForce FX 5200
I use many programs daily to clean my registry, clean unneeded files, and I defrag often. I also keep my windows and programs very much up to date.

Welcome to TechSpot

The best advise (I think) is to make a backup of your personal files, then install everything from scratch.
Before you install any unknown program, always read up on the web, search for "programname problems". Check on pages from the likes of CNet or ZDnet, Iamnotageek etc. and check on web-forums like ours. ASK first, THEN shoot.

lol, Problem is I download programs all the time... I have a collection of about 40Gigs of data on my computer so saving my important stuff and restarting everything isn't an option for me. I have most of it working fine again so I hope I can get the rest of it working.

you didnt mention it but did you try a system restore? if system restore doesnt work you might want to try running system File Checker. you will need your XP disk in the drive then go to start/run type sfc /scannow this should replace or repair any missing or corrupted windows system files.

General Leo said:
I downloaded a program called PC MightyMax and it COMPLETELY screwed up everything on my comp.
Sounds mighty indeed.
I cleaned the crap outta my computer using a ton of programs and used a ton of registry fix files to get most of my stuff back. Now my problems are...

1. "my computer" takes like 5 minutes just to open
2. Some programs are like "my computer"... takes like 5 mins just to load
3. I just noticed my DxDiag menu shows "Problems were found in the system registry. Details are available in the saved text file." on about 2-3 different tabs.
4. Some of my programs crash giving the error message "invalid library"
5. every (exactly) 10 seconds, my cursor changes to "loading" for about 2 seconds\
6. Windows Update gives an error
Looks like the registry is a goner. Aren't there any backups of it in %windir%\repair ?

System File Checker does only what it says - checks files, not registry. System Restore is one thing that could help.

Problem is that I don't have my windows XP disk anymore. I bought this computer a while back and who knows where the disks are now...

My system restore no longer works either. I guess i should have added that to the list. If any of you know oh programs I can try, plz link me.

get another HDD and make your second HDD a slave. Then reinstall Windows onto new HDD and copy all the data from old HDD, then reformat your old HDD.

Cost: less than $100 for HDD (if you dont have a spare one)
Time: 3 hours

how much time can you waste?

it may take days or even weeks to sort out each and every problem, and if you need to edit the registry, there's always a chance of obliterating all recovery from there on.

the shortest path to a running system is

reformat followed by a CLEAN install.

Yes, we all know just how painful this will be!

When the dust settles down (ie it's all working again), go to a quite, dark room, set in your favorite chair and ponder:
"what lessons can I learn from this experience"?

I am NOT being glib with this suggestion! Sometimes we can get more done by going slowly and methodically thru the problem that just jumping into any course of action.

I have a program called McAfee SiteAdvisor, I searched PC MightyMax and It came up telling me all about how this site has viruses, so I know I'm pointing out the ovious, but you oviousley didn't have a very good virus protector, you have no choice but to either:

A. Reformat, buy an XP CD, real cheap, make sure to buy a CD not a CD and a Validation KEY, thats where it costs money. Clean install, it seems bad but you might like goin back to basics, starting without all the crap involved with a new computer.

B. Light your computer on fire, throw remains in trash, keep PSU, RAM, HDD, Optical Drive in a box, you never know...
Buy a new computer...

I would give up and reinstall XP and all the programmes that I hope you stored seperately in a nice safe place. I had a similiar thing happen and it was the only way to get back to normality. Never download unknown rubbish unless it is given the OK by programmes such as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back