Computer Randomly Turns Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

majorblenks

Hi guys

I was wondeing if anyone could give me a explanation for why my computer randomly turns off after 30-2h of it being on? The computer will boot up fine, load all programs like normal - i can start a game or word doc and work with those for a bit but then the computer randomly turns itself off! It wont turn back on straight away unless i turn it off/on at the back and unplug-plug it back in.

Now, I've concluded from tests that it is not the PSU (PSU tester) or a temperature problem (I've monitored my CPU - doesnt go over 50C = but not tested the MOBO temp - case temp is about 40-45C).

My specs are: ASUS P4-800SE, P4 2.8GHz, 1 GB DDR RAM, 320GB HDD, 500W Coolermaster PSU, 512MB Radeon 1650PRO AGP, Soundblaster 5.1.

I was wondering it could be bad RAM or MOBO - how could I test each component exclusively? Does it matter that the RAM (2*512MB) are in slots 1 and 3 (of 4))?

BTW I installed GOW around the time this problem started but did a system restore...

Any help would be much appreciated and merry xmas to all

Asus boards are usually pretty reliable but a visual inspection to check for damaged capacitors might reveal something - I have had the same symptoms before and it was either the main board or the capacitors in the PSU (Tested OK as well!) that caused the problem. Try another PSU if no fat caps on the motherboard - do NOT under any circumstances muck about with the caps in the PSU - there's almost enough volts in them to kill! No kidding....

could anyone give me a run down on how to test the components of the computer to work out which 1 is at fault? cheers

Driver Conflict?

Hi Guys sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this issue:

I've checked the capacitors on the MoBo and they seem fine - none are blown or look abnormal.

I was reading about event logging and found these errors logged shortly before the computer temporarily dead on me again:

Date: 04/01/2008 Source: Service Control Manager
Time: 11:07:07am Category: None
Type: Error Event ID: 7026

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: kl1

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Date: 04/01/2008 Source: Service Control Manager
Time: 11:07:05am Category: None
Type: Error Event ID: 7000

The NVIDIA Display Driver Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Date: 04/01/2008 Source: Tcpip
Time: 10:09:04am Category: None
Type: Warning Event ID: 4226

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

Could this be a driver conflict? Its strange because I used driver sweeper to remove my Nvidia card and I now have a Radeon. I dont know what to do about this - should i rerun driver sweeper? or reinstall my graphics card?

Speedfan BTW shows no high temperatures around the time it turned off

Hey, I had similar problems, but I didn't have the same error logs. You could try to test your Ram by using it in another computer and running it for the same amount of time. As for the motherboard if you know someone with an identical one you could try swapping it to see if your system will work again, but that's always a big pain.
I ended up resolving my problem by replacing the power supply at first, but then the same problems occurred, and then it came to a point where it wont turn on at all. (just the cpu and psu fan turn a bit) So i got a replacement motherboard from the manufacturer, and after plugging it in it still didn't work. (the fans turned just a bit again) But after putting the old power supply back in everythings running so far. I havent experienced random restarts again just yet.

Random shut downs...still

Over the past days ive tested the main components of the board simultaneously (taking out the soundcard, ethernet, HDD and CD drives) and my computer can sit in limbo (loads bios but cant load windows - "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" appears) for >48 hours and not turn off. The CPU temp based on a probe is roughly 30C and the GC is 43C.

Im going to leave the computer for a little while longer then test the 2 HDD individually (both have OS' installed) without and with the soundcard/ethernet/CD drive etc and see if its a faultly HDD.

NB: The fact that the computer can sit there for days tells me the PSU is propbably fine - I will check it internally though for defects - a power test using a PSU tester came back perfect - no problems

I've inspected the RAM and slots - nothing suspect - will run memtest on them and test them individually if the HDDs turn out fine.

Any other suggestions/ideas on what could be tried would be much appreciated

P.S. The error logs I got came at random times and multiple times before a shut down occured - something independent to my main issue i think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back