Computer rebooted during AVG scan(i think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_a_newbie

My computer was on while I was asleep, and it was about 40 minutes into an AVG scan(I think, as they're scheduled for 8 am and i heard the post beep around 8:40). Anyways, as I was asleep I have no idea what might else might have been running or anything like that. I think it might've just been a random reboot, but if someone would take a look at my minidump, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

If this was just a one off crash, don`t worry too much about it.

Your crash was caused by vsdatant.sys. This is part of Zonealarm.

If your crashes continue, try updating Zonealarm. If that doesn`t help try a different firewall.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
If this was just a one off crash, don`t worry too much about it.

Your crash was caused by vsdatant.sys. This is part of Zonealarm.

If your crashes continue, try updating Zonealarm. If that doesn`t help try a different firewall.

Oh boy that was a quick reply.

Ah, okay that puts me at ease. Zonealarm has been acting up actually, the TrueVector service likes to 'fail' a lot and require me to restart ZoneAlarm. It was recently updated but the problem persists. What other (free) firewalls can you suggest?

howard_hopkinso said:
Why not try the free Kerio firewall from HERE.

Zonealarm is a very good firewall, but can cause problems on some systems.

Thank you very much. I will give that a try if ZoneAlarm continues to cause problems.

Another crash. BSOD barely poppedup, no text just blue.

Anyways here's the minidump.

If it is indeed ZoneAlarm again, I will proceed to install the Kerio firewall. Thanks in advance.

Your latest minidump is corrupt and unreadable.

This may be a sign of faulty ram. However, before doing anything further, download the free Kerio firewall and disconnect from the net. Uninstall Zonealarm and reboot your system. Install the Kerio firewall and reconnect to the net. Check for any available updates and see how your system runs. If that doesn`t help proceed to the next step below.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Before I do so, this problem just got a lot worse.

All kinds of programs are randomly crashing now. Firefox, NHL06, Warcraft3, Starcraft, also if I have any instant messenger window open sometimes the messenger itself crashes. It's pretty frequent, about 5-10mins having anything open, it will crash.

Oh dear that`s not good.

Do as I suggested and see if it helps. If not follow the instructions in the link I gave you.

Yanked cord -> Uninstalled Zone alarm -> Rebooted

Proceeded to install kerio when halfway through my computer restarted.

Attached is a minidump(hopefully it's readable).

I now have Kerio installed and no problems as of yet.

Your latest minidump crashes with a hardware error and IP_MISALIGNED. This is usually a symptom of faulty ram.

Go and follow the instructions in this link HERE.

howard_hopkinso said:
Your latest minidump crashes with a hardware error and IP_MISALIGNED. This is usually a symptom of faulty ram.

Go and follow the instructions in this link HERE.

I actually did the memtest + defrag/pagefile tests before I posted my minidumps. The RAM did fail the tests(together, individually they were fine), but I wanted to make sure they were actually making the system crash.

Thank you very much for your help.

I suppose my only option is to opt for some new, quality RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back