Computer Rebooting by Itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abarajas6

Just put together a brand new PC with parts all bought from tigerdirect.com. None of the parts are defective in any way. My problem: For some reason my computer will restart for no reason what so ever. Most of the times it happens when playing World of Warcraft, but it has restarted while no programs were running. Sometimes after the reboot has completed a Windows pop-up comes up and says system has recovered from a serious error. When I use the option to send the error in i'am then brought to a microsoft page with the title "Device Driver Error." Through some research I have found out others have had the same problem but I can't seem to find a solution. If it is a device driver causing this how can I determine which one to fix it?

Comp Specs

Asus K8V SE Deluxe
AMD64 3200+
2X512 PNY DDR 400mhz RAM
Nvidia 6800 GT
WindowsXP Home

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You can stop your computer from re-booting itself when there`s an error.

Right click my computer, and select properties, and then the advanced tab. Under startup and recovery, click settings, and uncheck the box that says automatically restart. Click apply/ok the required number of times, and reboot your system.

Now, instead of your computer re-booting when there`s an error. You should receive an error message(BSOD) telling you what caused the problem.

Pay particular attention to any drivers identified in the stop message.

A list of Windows stop messages can be found HERE

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Ok I enabled what you told me to and upon accepting a few minutes later I recieve the BSOD with the error BAD_POOL_HEADER. Now what do I do with that?

Originally posted by CPC2004.
When Windows crashes with blue screen, it writes a system event 1001 and a minidump to the folder \windows\minidump. Check system event 1001 and it has the content of the blue screen

Event ID: 1001
Source: Save Dump
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.The bugcheck was : 0xc000000a (0xe1270188, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804032100).
Microsoft Windows..... A dump was saved in: .......

Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event 1001. Copy the content and paste it back here

Zip 5 to 6 minidumps and attach the zip files here.

Follow the above advice, and CPC2004 will probably take a look at your minidump files for you.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Im having similar problems with a PC I built from Tigerdirect.com At first I couldn't get XP to install, thought it might be hard drive so I swapped with a brand new one. Then thought it might be the soundcard so i took it out. Then I finally got XP installed but the computer randomly restarts for no apparent reason. I checked temperatures but all is good. Made sure CPU fan is properly seated. I even bought and swapped a new power supply. Nothing.

Now, try this. I took the motherboard out of the case but left it connected (power off and unplaugged obviously). Start the computer with the motherboard outside of the case on an anti static bag. VOILA! The PC worked fine which means that there must be a screw or something metal touching the motherboard somewhere in the case. Right now I am on the hunt for the problem... but try that and see what you come up with!

AMD 64 3500
Chaintech S1689 socket 939
1024 DDR2700
Geforce 5700 LE 256 MB
80 Gig Western Digital ATA
30 Gig Maxtor ATA
Windows XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back