Computer rebooting every 15min or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer is crashing with a full reboot with out warning every now and then.

every 15-30min or so.

Sometimes i get a error through my speakers during boot-up that memory test failed. but it continues to boot with no written errors in DOS.

Does this mean one of my RAM has gone bad?

I tried it, but i cant get through the test before it reboots.

My temps are sitting at 120 degrees (F) for my cpu. Could that be it?

it should be you cpu is heating too much. Just make sure the cpu fan is secure. It happened to me also. After i secured the fan it worked fine. Or just get a better fan to replace it.

so 120 (F) is to high? I think thats 70(C).

I always thought up to 90(C) was ok.

But if thats the case, i will clean it and see if that helps any.

I downloaded something called speedfan to check my temps, and It shows something way out of the norm.

How can i tell which part this is?

temps.jpg

Yeah, that looks pretty whacked up.

I think that program isn't detecting something right. Because there is no way that there is a place in your PC that is below freezing and another place within your PC that is over the boiling temperature of water.

Open your case with the power on, be very careful and make sure all of your fans are working. If there is a place that hot you should be able to feel it by hovering your hand over the pieces. If you feel a heat wave, then yes, that is probably accurate.

Speedfan often times doesn't read or display all of the temps right. I wouldn't worry about that -1 or that 127 at all. 120F is only ~49 C so you are safe there. That temp is probably your Temp 1 or your Core that are both reasonably close to 49C. Nothing to be worried about there.

Are you getting any errors in memtest before it reboots?

no errors in the memtest.

It gets to around 66%.

Ill try pulling out 2 of the 3 sticks of ram and seeing if i can get through a test that way.

EDIT the MoBo/cpu is about 3 years old, so it could just be wear and tear. Ive been planning on building a whole new PC in about 2 months. So hopefully i can get this one running long enough to get my new one running.

The ram is only about a year old, and its patriot which is a fairly good brand isnt it?

Yes, it most likely is your power supply. Check the 12v, the 5v, and the 3.3v rails in the bios, and the 12v should not be under 11.90v. Normally, the 12v rail should always be around 12-12.15v. I have an OCZ PowerStream 600W, and the 12v rail is always at 12.15-12.16v. Good luck. I hope you find out what the problem is.

I have a NSpire psu.

The current volts are

Vcore - 1.69
3.3 - 3.31V
5v - 4.35V
12v - 12.41V

That is the other ancient peice in my computer. It is also 3 years old.

And thank you all for your help with this, I know how it can be helping complete strangers and rarely getting any thanks or credit for your time.

That 5V is too low. General rule is + or - 10%, so the minimum you should see is 4.5V. Looks like Ship and NFS may be on to something with the PSU.

The only real way to test PSU is with a multimeter. I get whacky results from my PSU occasionally and that is a Corsair 750W quality item. I would normally have said PSU as well, but that CPU temp seems to high for me and the tests are not conclusive.

I would reapply qauality TIM on that CPU and monitor.

Bigfellla said:
I would reapply qauality TIM on that CPU and monitor.

I am not sure what a TIM is. Can you spell it out for me?

EDIT: another interesting symptom i just noticed since plugging in my speakers.

When ever new hardware is found windows plays a noise. and it is playing that noise about every 1-2 minutes. So something is cutting in and out it looks like. My mouse is optical and the lights turn off and back on when the noise it played.

USB uses 5V, they are probably getting underpowered with your 4.35V. I'd replace the PSU.

TIM is thermal interface material, but going on the educated assumption that that 127C temp is wrong, and that 49C temp is correct, I wouldn't worry about it. 49C is well within acceptable temperature ranges.

Exactly what SNGX1275 said; the 5v rail is way too low. It should be at least at 4.5v-4.7v. Recommended however is to have it at 4.95-5.05v. The 12v rail also seems a bit too high, but not that bad; it should be max around 12.30v I believe. However these symptoms that you are experiencing are as SNGX1275 said; the USB Mouse uses the 5v rail, which is underpowered. Also how many devices are there hooked up to your computer, especially through the USB ports?

EDIT: I would not worry so much about the CPU temperature. SpeedFan is known to give inaccurate readings on some components, mainly because it is not able to read the motherboard's temperature sensors properly. I would download Everest, and check the temperatures, or even easier just go into the BIOS and check it from there.

good call, to bad i was to late in noticing the problem. It melted into my motherboards connecters aswell. Anyideas as to how this could happen? This is a crude pic, it was taken with my cell phone. But you can see where the connectors were melted.

Image000.jpg

So i guess i will wait untill next month to make a new one and go with out a computer for alittle while.

So, the motherboard also has melted residue from the connector, left in the motherboard's own connector? If so, then try to clean it out, and replace the psu. You do not need to replace the entire motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back