Computer rebooting.........PLEASE HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Please excuse me if I do not initially provide enough information for you. I am new to the forum. :wave: Recently I decided to install windows XP onto a new formatted 80 gb harddrive. At first it was great :bounce: , then it started to reboot randomly. I scanned for viruses. None were found. I updated the BIOS. I use memtest to test the RAM. It passed. I used motherboard monitor. Everything appears OK. Last I updated the video driver. I saw from a previous thread that you could diagnose the problem by looking at the minidump files. Could you do the same for me. It would be GREATLY appreciated. My computer’s stats are below along with minidump files. PLEASE HELP. :confused:

BIOS Date: 10/03/02
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS ID: 10/03/2002-8365-686B-6A6LMM49C
OEM Sign-On: W6340VMS V6.3 100302 15:47:53
Chipset: VIA 82C305 rev 129
Superio: VIA 686 rev 64 found at port 7h
CPU: AMD Duron 1333 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 512 MB
Memory Maximum: 512 MB
Memory Slot 01: 256 MB
Memory Slot 02: 256 MB

Hi,

The cukprit may be McFee Firewall and Faulty ram. Upgrade McFee Firewall. If the BSOD still occurs, run memtest to stress test the ram.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond back to you. I really am grateful for your help. So to answer philop88's question, I have a microstar international motherboard MS-6340 ver. 5.0. And for cpc2004, you are a genius!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I upgraded the McAfee firewall, and it still crashed (not as often as it was though). I ran memtest again (to check the RAM). The test always passed. It never failed the memtest. I had 2 256MB memory sticks. I took them out of the slot one at a time, and waited to see if my system would crash again. As you suspected, 1 of my memory sticks was faulty. I took it out of the slot and I have not had any other problems with the system crashing! This is the most helpful forum I've ever seen. Keep up the good work!

No offence to Techspot, but GameFAQ's PC forum aint half bad either. Give them a visit next time too. I have been a member there for a long time and usually the people are very helpful and I get my solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back