Computer Restarting in the middle of Call of Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

totalbadness

yes i'm pissed.... multiplayer is very fun...

so here it goes....

don't know much about comps... just enugh to seperate me from non gamers....

my friend built my computer... and no other time than when i'm playing games does my computer completely restart on me...

--what drivers do i need to download (graphics and sound)

--i've already set my comp to best performance

--any other tips you can suggest?

thank you very much...
going to work...
may not re-reply right away...
thanks....
taylor

Ok man, Whoa triple posting, thats a no-no...Delete your two other posts, click the edit button near the bottom of those posts, and click edit, then check the "Delete Box" at the top of the page that comes up.

As to your problem, IMO there are a number of things it might be, most likely its your powersupply.

no, most likely I'd say its vid card or driver related if it is happening in the middle of playing a game. Try another set of drivers for vid card, if using the latest, go back to a version known to work for you.

Update Call of Duty to the latest version, update your video card drivers, and update your chipset drivers.

To help you further as far as what drivers to install we need for more information about the computer.

What motherboard is the PC using and what video card.

oops didn't know it was taboo to request help in more than one forum.....

i wanna try my drivers but i'm not sure what to download, from where, and to be honest, how.....

i tried to download something off of here yesterday.... and my winace free trial version (expired) came up and all that stuff... double clicked on what i thought might be the setup application and nothing ever happened......

here are my specs:::::::::::

300W power supply

AMD AthlonXP 2500+ barton core processor

Soltek nForce2 400 motherboard

Geil 512MB PC3000 Memory

Albatron GeForce4 Ti4200 128 MB video card

Maxtor 40GB 7200 RPM hard drive

Obvoard nVidia Soundstorm sound

Onboard nVidia Lan Networking

and 2 80mm fans (in case someone mentions the heat)

thanks for any help........................ it means alot.

taylor

well, your PSU is pushing it close for your specs(might consider getting 350W for your setup. First lets try drivers, if that doesn't work, then you may have to replace the PSU. I'd suggest 43.xx Detonators for that video card.

i don't know the specifics... but i have updated all my drivers, or all the ones that the automatic finder said was better than what i had..... and i installed 5.3.0.3 nVIDIA detonator or something like that.... so is it most likely the power supply then.....? and does it matter what power supply i buy, or are they all compatible...??? thanks...

I had a friend who was running about the same components (athlon 2200+, etc..), and had a 300W PSU, he kept having his computer crash at wierd times as well, especially games. I upgraded the PSU to 400 watts and it fixed the problem. I think that the chips take more power to run at higher tempuratures, and if you are right at the edge with your PSU, the high tempuratures and load will make your computer restart.

Same Problem here

Ok, I'm having pretty much the same problem here.
My computer is about 3 years old
1800+ amd with original heatsink and fan
416 MB SDR ram
40 Gig hardrive
Gigabyte GA-7zxe Motherboard
250W PSU
Windows XP pro

It started about a week ago with no warning. I was playing diablo II and my computer just restarted with no warning and made a click noise. Then it just kept restarting and clicking. It never made it past bios, so I'm guessing its not a virus. I checked my system temp and i was running
152 degreese f on my cpu
98 degreese f on my system

I have no case fan by the way.

I found out that my cpu temp was really high so I bought a new 1800+ off e-bay and installed it with gobs of thermal compound.

It didn't fix it... I can now run just basic internet and stuff only if the side is removed and I have a fan blowing in it on High. Even with the fan it still continously restarts itself if i play diablo II... I haven't tried any other games...

With my fan running and the side off i'm doing about
116 degreese f on cpu
78 degreese f on case

I have no clue what is wrong with it. I would love any info I can get... I already updated all drivers manually from their websites, not auto update.

Should I get a new PSU or case fan or both? And is that all?

i dont think it is overheating, as long as you dont go over 130F or 55C there should deffinately not be a problem with overheating.

hey pantera when you turn off your PC be sure to turn your fan off too. cold components can be just as bad, even worse then hot ones. pc temps should be between 0-55C 32-130F.

Re: Same Problem here

Originally posted by Pantera975
I found out that my cpu temp was really high so I bought a new 1800+ off e-bay and installed it with gobs of thermal compound.

Putting too much thermal paste is just as bad as not putting any at all. You only need a thin layer that you evenly spread on the surface of the core (no need to put paste on the packaging).

& make sure the fan is properly installed. If you've installed the socket clip the other way around, the heatsink will not have a proper contact with the CPU core.

I got a new 450W psu and 2 fans 1 front and 1 back. I put it all in right and it still does it. I even tried a new video card to see if that had anything to do with it... still reboots itself. I can't figure out what's wrong... I have tried everything but buying a new Computer. I also took all the ram out and put in a new one and it still did it. Any other suggestions?

If present or required, did you put the extra power-connector onto the graphics card?

Is the fan on your CPU turning and does it blow AWAY from the CPU?

If you have a floppy drive, boot from a floppy (e.g. Win98 startup) with your hard-disks disconnected. Does that work?
Have you checked and reseated all your cables, cards, memory, drives, mobo-cables etc.?

I've tried disconnecting all my drives and just letting it sit in dos asking for a operating system. I only had my processor, video card, and 1 stick of ram going and it still did it. I took out that 1 stick and tried another and it still did it... So its not the ram. I have 2 fans now 1 front 1 back. Front blows in to the computer and the back blow out the back.... My cpu fan runs and i don't know if its blowing to or away... I feel air coming up so I'm guessing away. I think I may just need a new mother board.

Check the motherboard capacitors, they have leaked or maybe one or two may have popped open.

D/L and install CPUidle from http://www.cpuidle.de/
That should bring your temperature down. Make sure to set the special AMD-switch.
See if that helps.

Also, if you have one, install another harddisk instead of your 40GB, and just start up with a DOS-floppy.
The click you hear might come from your HD.
In the Storage and Networking forum is a "sticky" post with HD-test utilities. Run the appropriate one to see if there is a problem with the HD.

I got the CpuIdle and it still didn't fix it.
I tried a new hard drive and it still didn't fix it.
I have tried new EVERYTHING (literally) but a new mother board.
I am bidding on an auction right now for my same exact motherboard used... *sigh*
I am running out of ideas...

Can this be from my power cord, or maybe the outlet in the wall?

You could swap powercords with your monitor and /or try an other power-outlet, who knows?
If you are in the UK, check the wires inside the plug as well, that they are tightly connected.

If you want another mobo, go for something as new as you can (but that means reinstalling from scratch).
If that error is "inherent" to that mobo, chances are your replacement-(same)mobo might have the same error!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back