Computer restarting several times a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a problem with my computer restarting several times a day. It seems to really have a problem when I push it using Adobe Illustrator. I just assembled the computer about 2 or 3 months ago. I have tried reformatting the machine, swapping the power supply, and swapping the video card. The computer has a P4 3.0Ghz Northwood, a Foxconn 865A01-PE-6EKRS mobo with onboard LAN and Sound, a Nvidia GeForce 5500 graphics card, an 80GB Western Digital HD and one CDROM drive. I was also told to check the capacitors on the mobo to look for swelling or leaking and they all look okay. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I vaguely remember that frequent rebooting could be either a power supply problem or a spybot/trojan horse reaking havoc in your machine. You may want to download and run Spybot S&D and then run it. Of course look at your PS as well.

I will try running S&D and Adaware, but I have reformatted the computer a couple of times with this still happening. I have also tried swapping Power Supplies to a TruePower.

I think I might have narrowed the problem down to copying large amounts of data to the clipboard when using Adobe Illustrator. Do you think this might be faulty RAM?

Download the memory test that Microsoft has. You can create a floppy with it and boot with the floppy. The memory test will run automatically. It's a pretty thorough test. I found a bad stick in the past with it.

I ran the microsoft memory test and the RAM seems to be working okay. The test does stop at INVC, it says Active. I read on Microsofts site that said the test would stop if the first test passed. Should I give the test more time or does this look like the RAM is good.

I have received a few stop error that I will post

0x0000000A (0x00000004,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x804e85f5)

0x0000000A (0x87596308, 0x0000001c, 0x00000001, 0x804e1c6b)

and one that said win32k.sys
0x0000008e (0xe0000005, 0xbf81ee86, 0xf41c1c5c, 0x00000000)

Thanks again for any suggestions you may have

Microsoft has a KB article that explains the meaning and possible solution for each BSOD error code. I don't know what the number is. Do sa earch there for one of your codes and I think that one of the resulting links will be it. By the way, the memory test runs until it fails. It has a number of subtests that it will cycle through and it shows the number of times each subtest ran. That's the my test runs and I downloaded it from MS.

Another thing you might look at is your system event viewer to see what happened leading up to the unwelcome restart.

Dingo Dango said:
I am having a problem with my computer restarting several times a day. It seems to really have a problem when I push it using Adobe Illustrator. I just assembled the computer about 2 or 3 months ago. I have tried reformatting the machine, swapping the power supply, and swapping the video card. The computer has a P4 3.0Ghz Northwood, a Foxconn 865A01-PE-6EKRS mobo with onboard LAN and Sound, a Nvidia GeForce 5500 graphics card, an 80GB Western Digital HD and one CDROM drive. I was also told to check the capacitors on the mobo to look for swelling or leaking and they all look okay. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Just a simple question?"Are you restarting the computer button or is the system doing this on its own ?Is it shutting down and you have to restart?

The computer was restarting on its own until I turned that option off, then it was giving me the BSOD. I think that I may have answered my own question. I ran through the MS memory test and everything tested fine, but I thought I would pull a stick of RAM anyway. The system so far has not rebooted in 24 hours and I have been using Illustrator this whole time. After looking into dual channel memory I think I might not have the RAM in the appropriate slots. My motherboard manual does not say anything other than here are the DIMM slots put the memory here, but the mobo has four slots two blue and two yellow. Do I need to put dual channel memory in the same colored slot?

Thank you

Dingo Dango said:
The computer was restarting on its own until I turned that option off, then it was giving me the BSOD. I think that I may have answered my own question. I ran through the MS memory test and everything tested fine, but I thought I would pull a stick of RAM anyway. The system so far has not rebooted in 24 hours and I have been using Illustrator this whole time. After looking into dual channel memory I think I might not have the RAM in the appropriate slots. My motherboard manual does not say anything other than here are the DIMM slots put the memory here, but the mobo has four slots two blue and two yellow. Do I need to put dual channel memory in the same colored slot?

Thank you
yes keep the ram in the same color slots,Make sure both ram are identical brand/number ,and I think you did not have the ram the first time seated properly this will give you bsod screen,then you took the ram out and re installed and they seated properly,problem solved . :)

Paul thanks for the update, yah my mobo manual said nothing about installing the dual channel in the same colored slots and the last computer I built was a PIII. The RAM is identical and should work now. Thanks for everyones help.

Display Card Driver Problem

To Dingo
nVidia Display Card Driver has a lot of problem. The latest version of nVidia Display Card Driver version 66.93 always cause blue screen and windows hang up. Out-dated nVidia Display Card Driver is also incompatible with W2K SP4 and XP SP2. Install nVidia display card driver 61.77 which is a stable version. I've resolved more than 10 blue screen problem relating to nVidia Display Card Driver.

Hope it can help you.

I have a similar problem now, and i think its a little bit different.
When I cold start the computer, it starts restarting randomly, with breaks of 0.5 seconds to 3 seconds, sometimes it restarts, and when I see the first BIOS screen, it restarts again and restart again within half a second. Sometimes it went upto windows startup log, or scandisk screen and then again restarts.
BUT the most important thing I want to mentioned is that the frequency of restarting decreases as time goes. After about 6-8 minutes the computer becomes stable and then I can run at for several hours or even 2 days without any problem.
All this happens when I cold start it. When it becomes stable, I can restart, reboot, eand do anything without any problem.
I have checked the PC with: Norton Antivirus, F-Prot (All updated) and nod32 DOS. All erport it clean.
Checked with Ad Aware, no problem reported.
Another thing I think must have to ention here, that I had to temporarily shift my PC to the basement for 3 days, there I used it, when I shifted back to my room, the next day brought this problem. Then I noticed some sort of movement/noise in my PC and openeed it and lolz it was a little mouse (animal not my hardware mouse) inside my PC, Transported that mouse to highway (I threw it with maximum velocity). I chcked the internals of my PC all seems to OK. The first thought that came in my mind was that the mouse might have been destroyed some wirings, but I checked all OK.
Though I dont think the mice was the cause of this problem but I mentioned here as I need to come to a conclusion analyzing every aspect lolz.
Sorry my post is so lenghty. Any help ? any idea? OR i m gonna become a rat killer machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back