Computer running at 100% CPU whenever I open anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

c50662

Hey. I started having this problem today. Everything I open brings my CPU to 100%. Sometimes it will go back down after a while, but it does it with everything I open, be it a folder or program. I've tried restarting and all that without any success. I've attached my HiJackThis log to see if it says anything is wrong.

There isn`t any spyware in that log,but I see you do have
Nero`s indexing and backup services running.

Go to Start/Run/type :services.msc and disable 'NBservice' and 'NMIndexingService'

If that doesn`t work go HERE and then post AVG and Combofix logs

There could be some corruption in your Windows installation. What caused it, I don't know. The best way to fix it would be a repair installation.

First, complete the anti-spyware scans and remove anything they recommend. If the problem still persists, go into MSCONFIG and disable any useless startup/background programs. If the problem still persists, then perform an XP repair installation.

Yea, the installation is fairly new. I've already done MSCONFIG. I'll finish the scan, and if it don't work I'll try repairing it. I'll get back here when I'm done.

Is your computer a Dell or HP? If it's a Dell, you can do a restore from factory image if you have all your personal files backed up and CDs for the programs you installed since you got the system. If it's an HP, there is a recovery partition that has a super-automated partial recovery that's very nice.

Repost please.

Nope, I have neither. Scans have turned up nothing. I've ran ccleaner, and cleaned up some files. I've ran Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter. I've un-installed numorus applications that I don't use. I can't try and repair, as it keeps saying my administrator password is incorrect. The Windows installation is maybe 2 weeks old. I reformatted because of this problem. It seemed to work, but I forgot to mention that I noticed it started lagging whenever I tried opening everything after I attempted to compress a large file. I've done msconfig. Could it possibly be some sort of problem with the Hard Drive? The Drive is only 5 months old...

c50662 said:
Nope, I have neither. Scans have turned up nothing. I've ran ccleaner, and cleaned up some files. I've ran Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter. I've un-installed numorus applications that I don't use. I can't try and repair, as it keeps saying my administrator password is incorrect. The Windows installation is maybe 2 weeks old. I reformatted because of this problem. It seemed to work, but I forgot to mention that I noticed it started lagging whenever I tried opening everything after I attempted to compress a large file. I've done msconfig. Could it possibly be some sort of problem with the Hard Drive? The Drive is only 5 months old...

Did you turn on file compression on your HDD? That might explain the sluggish response. OTOH it wouldn't explain the 100% CPU usage.

You said your did a reformat & re-install of Windows so that at least rules out spyware and virus. Could be a system setting somewhere, again, disk compression.

Well I did the reformat about 2 weeks ago when I was having problems. But as i said, every scan I run turns up nothing. File compression, I tried it on a file by right clicking and all. The file I was trying to compress was blue, but its not anymore, so I don't think compression is on. But an update at this time. I've been trying everything I can think of to stop the high CPU usage. Right now, I can open programs and have maybe 10-20 seconds of lag, then its gone. Right now I'm below 10%. But, when I reboot, it still lags at the 'splash screen' and takes probably 2-3 mins to start. I took the case off my computer and put a box fan by it and I'm going to see if that'll help. I think I may also try shutting my computer down for the night when i go to bed, maybe I've just been running it to much. But is there still a possibility that there is something wrong with the hard drive? Now I've started noticing some small noises as it shuts down, or is this normal? But if it continues, and I can't get it fixed, I think I may take the hard drive back and exchange it, cause I've got no idea what's wrong with it.

When you say there's a delay at he splash screen, is the manufacturer's splash screen or the Windows splash screen? If it's the former then you BIOS settings may be messed up.

Try resetting your BIOS to defaults.

Well my old laptop use to do the same thing, try watching a video and see if anything happens to the video, when my laptop was doing it i could watch videos, well i could but they always jumped, and it was in fast play all the time, i had it taken back to the shop because i had 3 year warranty on it and after 5 months professionals still couldnt find the problem, so if it is doing that with the videos i would recommend taking it back if you have warranty but if not your computer may be stuffed

Well, this is definitely some kind of hardware issue. Either the HDD is flacky or it's overheating.

Install Lavalys Everest Home Edition and monitor the CPU & MoBo temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back