Computer sending data but not recieving... help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey,
i have 2 computers, both are hooked up to a Mercury ethernet hub, wich is connected to my boradband modem. one of the computers (winxp home) works fine through the hub, able to browse net and everything.
however the other computer, only seems to be sending packets (on the connection status) , i have absolutly no idea why this is, i have tried everything it seems. both are on the same workgroup and the ethernet card works fine. its just it wont talk connect properly, problems with renewing the IP address.

any help greatly appreciated. thanks

james

need router

imitator1 said:
hey,
i have 2 computers, both are hooked up to a Mercury ethernet hub, wich is connected to my boradband modem. one of the computers (winxp home) works fine through the hub, able to browse net and everything.
however the other computer, only seems to be sending packets (on the connection status) , i have absolutly no idea why this is, i have tried everything it seems. both are on the same workgroup and the ethernet card works fine. its just it wont talk connect properly, problems with renewing the IP address.

any help greatly appreciated. thanks

james

a hub is just an electronic junction box; you need a router and to let it provide DHCP services to both systems.

on both systems
click run and enter
cmd /k ipconfig all

you must see
..identical DNS and GATWAY addresses
..but UNIQUE ip addresses
...(which a hub can not provide )

ok then,, thanks for that, i will try when i get home, just one question in case i dont know how, how do i set these things i am checking though? im sure i can work it out, but last time i changed one of the settings form "automatically detect setting" and put in the same details as on the other computer, it messed it all up...

ah well :)
thanks anyway

james

jobeard said:
a hub is just an electronic junction box; you need a router and to let it provide DHCP services to both systems.

heh, the modem provides dhcp services, plus if it dident i could set one of the computers to configure and run it anyway

cheers
james

brand name specific

imitator1 said:
heh, the modem provides dhcp services, plus if it dident i could set one of the computers to configure and run it anyway

cheers
james

lucky you. most broadband modems do not supply dhcp and give the single system attached the public IP address from the ISP pool. A router will give NAT support (thus effectively hiding the system(s) from direct Internet access) and DHCP support for multiple system access.

Instead of using the "automatically detect setting", use
Start-> Network Connections -> right-click Local Area Connection
at the bottom, select tcp/ip and then the Properties button

you then select Obtain IP and Obtain DNS automatically

best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back