Computer shut down - power supply problems? - fans start/shot off - not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer died over the weekend. It was working fine before I left for work when I turn it off but when I returned home and was about to go to bed I heard a ticking like noise from the speakers, almost like a heart beat (power surging through the system?). The little lights on the wireless nic card and old modem card (no metal plates to shut the hole, so I left it in) were blinking. I unplugged it and was going to remove the modem in the morning thinking that was the problem.

Next morning I tried turning it on but it wouldn't boot at all. The PC started making some noise then turned off. I opened the case and looked inside, tried starting it again. The fans were ticking like it was getting power, turned off from the back and tried again. System started up again, then quit. Several times the system would either: Act like it was starting up but nothing displayed on the moniter with the fans running at full speed or run for a few seconds and die. I have plugged the system directly into the wall as well, thinking it might of been the power strip but get the same results.

Now that I think about it, it could also be the fan on the processor but that spins normaly. It normally would be loud as a rice burner going down the street at load up then quite down. I had that replaced about a year ago, guy said it could possible not be reset to the correct speed but since it gets quite after the whole boot process I don't have to worry about it unless I wanted to reset it. Possible the processor is getting to hot to quickly during boot? I hope its not fried, system is about 3 years old and I hope to get at least another year out of it before I replace it.

Anyway, I am going to take it in this afternoon to the place I got it from. Wanted to get an idea of how much the damages are from you guys before I did.

Depends entirely on what the issue is. If the PSU is supplying power but not stably and the board isn't powering up because of that, you could be looking at just a PSU replacement, or various components.

What type of processor do you have? If it is an older model Athlon and the fan was not spinning fast enough, in theory it could have overheated and fried, though that is a rare occurence unless the fan outright stops spinning.

Processor an AMD Athlon XP2000(1.67Ghz)Socket A - OEM, the new fan on top is FoxConn CPU Cooler - AMD Athlon XP. PSU is just over 3 years, so I think it hit its life span. Sorry I can't give any more specs, got to run to class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back