Computer shuts down on startup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ae86trueno

I was playing COD4 demo the other day (played it a few times before with no problems) when it just shut off. I tried to reboot and after a few seconds of booting it shut off again!
Its almost a BRAND new setup:
xfx 8600 gt xxx
Xion 600 watt psu
evga 680i mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 Conroe 1.86GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 x2
The only thing i thought it might be was that i had the processor overclocked at 1.9ghz, which it ran fine at for about 2 weeks prior to this ( and i had played cod4 when it was overclocked)
I reset my bios (removed battery and waited for a few minutes) and it still shuts off!
If you need me to provide more details i can, please help!

This is most likely a video driver problem... or your system board might have been damaged by overclocking

if you know anything about overclocking, then you should know that overclock damage is irreversible. so if it's the overclocking that destroyed your machine, then it definitely sucks to be you right now...brand new system destroyed in 2 weeks.

but note the keyword "IF the overclocking did it". i'm not saying it did. but consider it a possibility.

for the video drivers, you'd have to detach your hard drive and plug it into another computer, then download the updates to that hard drive and plug it into the new system again. and as far as i know, that should do the trick.

but if it's been too damaged by the overclock, then i dunno what to tell you except i feel so sorry for you right now...i'm building a system at the moment as well. and i'm hoping it all goes swimmingly. but if it goes anything like that, as in getting fried by overclocking, then...well..crap....

hmm i guess i'll try that, don't think it was overclocking though because it was a really small change .4 ghz.
I'll let you know how it goes

I'm running a 3.2GHz Celeron D "Cedar Mill" processor to 4.2GHz... Overclocking success depends on hardware. Things like motherboard, CPU, Memory and video. When you overclock you stress everything in the system. My memory is rated at 400MHz. Default bios settings were only 200MHz. I raised the FSB to 475MHz and the system is stable. The CPU temp went from 35C to 45C

sorry for the thread revival, but for installing video drivers, do i just plug in my drive that has my windows on it and install it to there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back