Computer Shuts Down When Loading CD-Rom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Let me start of by saying hello to every one and nice site!

Now to the problem....

I currently purchased a emachines desktop from a friend that i was going to setup for my father. Everything seemed to be working fine when untill you put a CD-Rom in it then the processor fan speeds up tremendously and then the system restarts. If you dont take the CD-Rom out when it restarts it will just shutdown again. Audio CD's work fine. At first I thought It was the CD-Rom Drive Itself but I installed the one out of my computer ans it did the same thing. Does This this sound like a power issue or a clock speed issue? If so where would i go in bios to fix it?

Processor
Intell Celeron 2.6 GHZ
Memory
256 MB DDR
OS Windows XP Professional
Power Supply
Allied 250W

If More Specs Are needed let me know!!!!!

By the sound of it, you are having overheating of the CPU problems. This is bc you said the CPU fan would speed right up then it shuts down. The fan is controlled by the mobo and when it detects an increase in CPU temperature it ramps up the RPM on the HSF to compensate. Apparently it's not keeping up with the CPU temperature rise.

Have you ever removed the HSF from the CPU? We can give you instructions if you feel confident enough to do it yourself. (it's easy).

Cheers.

How

Im All For It the HSF is by AVC Model C7015T12MY Dont know if that helps but yeah fire away how do I disssemble it. I see two metal clips on the side of the hsf and a plug running into the mobo that says cpufan. where do i start?

Ok if you got clips that's real easy. What you really need before you start is some thermal paste. (this is a thick white cream used to conduct the heat between the CPU and the HSF interface.)

1.Turn off and unplug the PC.
2. Remove side of PC and locate HSF and CPU.
3. Unplug the fan connector to the mobo.
4. Locate the bottom lip of the clips.
5. With a screwdriver or similar object GENTLY pry the clip free while holding the HSF in place (use a SMALL downward force on the top of the HSF).

What does the interface look like. Is it dry? does it have the remains of an old thermal pad?

Here's a link that might help you:
http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t9728.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back