Computer shuts itself off, sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an odd computer problem. My computer will randomly shut itself off. It will shut off at different times too. Sometimes in the middle of POST, sometimes when I am logging in, and sometimes when I've been messing around in Windows for several minutes.

At first I thought it was the power supply, which I checked by using a different power supply, same problem. Then I noticed something weird, when my computer was lying on its side it never shut-off but when I put it upright it shuts off at random points. I've tested this several times and this hypothesis seems to be correct.

Now I have checked and rechecked each cable and each one is secure. Before this problem started happening I had my computer upright so I dont know what happened.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Removing and refitting cpu, ram, and all cards may help as it sounds like you have a bad contact somewhere.

I think it is the CPU. Since it does the random shut off if the case is on its side but so that the MB is up and not the CPU (upside-down). Thanks for the help.

If that's the case, remove the sticky pad (if it has one) from the base of the CPU heatsink and use a good thermal grease instead, that my help.

Thanks for the help, bought a new CPU cooler (I had some overheating problems too) and I will just install that after reseating the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back