Computer shuts of at 80C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Computer shuts off at 80C

I got a new video card today as well as a new powersupply.

Nvidia 8800 GT OC
650 Watt power supply with 2 12V lines
MOBO - P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe - Intel Core 2

Basically what is happening is once my Chip hits 80C it shuts off. Im using HMonitor to monitor temp.

Why is it shutting of at such low temp? I did flash my Bios when installing the video card cause I was having some problems. I also reapplied some thermal paste to my heat sink. Before I did that it was shutting down after 5 secs.

I see all fans spinning. Not sure what to do at this point. Please help.

Low temp? Dude.. What chip and which temperature are we talking about here?

If you mean the chipset temperature, then 80 is pretty much the ceiling and unless you shut down, your northbridge goes toast.

its the chipset. MOBO at 38C, CPU at 70-73C.

Any ideas as how to fix this? I've reapplied thermal paste twice now and 70C is the lowest I can get it. I see all fans spinning normally, so I'm not sure what to do.

I've had this PC for a year now and just got a new power supply and video card, so why would my CPU be overheating all of a sudden?

GPU at 66C

First Post ?

It appears to be asus.I spoke to them in person on Toll Free.
I have a P5K-VM ASUS.
They say that up to 65 C is OK.I'm at 50 C.for new Motherboard.
If it's an asus,use probe,on the cd or download for your model.
MOBO - P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe
This sounds like an asus.
If its a new board take it back,thats too HOT.
:(
But why this comment ?

its the chipset. MOBO at 38C, CPU at 70-73C.
So witch is it or both.Get you bios readings,

Hello, mikez006, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, are you applying a thin layer of thermal paste and not just whacking a load of it on?

Also are you using arctic silver or standard white stuff, arctic silver is the best thermal paste to use.

Sorry, I meant to say Chip is at 70C. MB is at 38C. And yes its an Asus. Chip is Intel Core 2 Duo E6600.

The chip is a year old, so I'm not sure why its overheating now. Any ideas

you didn't answer my questions :)

what sort of thermal paste did you use and how much?

if it's randomly just started saying that it's really hot then there could be a temp sensor problem but i'm not an expert on those sorts of problems :)

i got it working. I was using artic silver, with a thin layer.

What was happening is my heatsink has really crappy clips, there these cheap plastic things that need to be stuck into the MOBO and turned, but there not very good and they popout if its too tight. So I was only able to get 3 in. I finally got all 4 in and its down to 29C. Funny thing is Im pretty sure I was only able to get 3 in when I install it a year ago. Go figure, Im just happy its working now.

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back