Computer speaker question??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old set of altec lansing computer speakers, and i was wondering if it was possible to turn them into home theater speakers since all surround speakers hook into the sub and then the sub has a 3 wire hookup.

not really a electrinics guru so might be a stupid question?

thanks

AMOore141

Hello and welcome to techspot :)

What is your AL configuration? Is it 2.1, or 5.1?
I dun really understand what you're asking as you did not tell much about your speaker. If possible please write your AL series here...

P.S. If you want to mod the 2.1 speakers to be 5.1, it's not possible logically, but you can have a surround* sound if you have another plug-ins for media player.

You also need to match up or exceed the wattage output of the amplifier with the speakers.
You must also ensure that the speakers are the correct ohmage or damage could be done to both speakers and amplifier.

I wouldnt use them as your mains, maybe just use them as your surrounds. I would guess depending on the model. They probably arent rated very high on wattage. Depending on your receiver/amp you can adjust the volume on the rears. The receiver probably has a test signal where you can try to even out the output. Is it a prologic or dolby digital receiver? Also if the receiver supports it, I think it sounds better if you run all the speakers from the receiver instead of running them through the sub.

You also need to match up or exceed the wattage output of the amplifier with the speakers.
You must also ensure that the speakers are the correct ohmage or damage could be done to both speakers and amplifier.

What do you mean match up or exceed the wattage output? Its just as easy to burn up a pair of speakers with an underpowered amp as it is with an over powered amp. Most amps run 8 ohm, more expensive runs can run 2 and 4 ohm speakers. But arent most PC speakers 8 ohms anyways?

I have the Altec lansing ADA995 5.1 speakers, been using them on my old computer for several years and am no longer using them there, jsut wnated to find a good us

Specifications

Manufacturer: Altec Lansing Technologies, Inc.

Model: ADA995

System Frequency Response: 38 Hz to 20 kHz

System Acoustic Output: > 115 dB SPL at 28 inches

System Signal-to-Noise (S/N) Ratio: > 75 dB A-weighted

Total Amplifier Power Rating: 200 watts continuous (rms) average power (all speakers operating) at < 1% (THD+N), 63 Hz and 1 kHz (per EIA Standard RS-490)

Input Sensitivity for Rated Output: 200 mV rms

Input Impedance (any line input): > 10 k§Ù

Maximum Input Signal Voltage: 2 V rms

Input Cables: Attached, color coded 3.5 mm stereo plugs

Front, Rear, & Center Satellite Speaker Specifications

Configuration: 2-way, one woofer and one tweeter, magnetically shielded

Woofer Size: 76.2 mm (3") full range driver

Woofer Impedance: 8 §Ù

Tweeter Size: 32 mm (1.25")

Frequency Response: 150 Hz to 20 kHz

Output Power per Channel: 20 watts continuous average power @ < 1% (THD+N), each front and rear channel

20 watts continuous average power @ <1% (THD+N), center channel

Dimensions: 51.2 cu in inside volume

Weight: 1.5 lb (0.6 kg)

Color: Gray / Black

Speaker cables:

Length: 3m (10 ft), Front and center speakers

5m (16 ft), Rear speakers

Connectors: RCA phono connectors, color-coded and mechanically keyed

Subwoofer Specifications

Number of speakers: Two (2)

Woofer Size: (170) mm (6.5") long throw driver

Woofer Impedance: 8 §Ù

Enclosure type: Ported, rigid wood construction

Frequency Response: 38 Hz to 150 Hz

Output Power: 100 watts continuous average power @ < 1% (THD+N)

Dimensions: 17.7x8.2x17.3 (450x209.5x440 mm) outside dimensions

Weight: 36.5 lbs (16.6 kg)

Color: Grey / Black with OEM LOGO
e for them. 100 watt sub and 5 20watt satellites.

lol....You forgot to include your blood type there! :D

I think you can use them as your surround without any issues. You have RCA cables long enough?

I am not sure how to hook them up since the sub has a cord with three 3.5 jacks in the back and each satellite has RCA jacks

I don't see the problem of these speakers not being able to be used for home theater use. If you're using the whole set of speakers that it came with, then just plug the "Audio in" like you would from your PC but instead sourced from your HT system's Audio/Line out (like the DVD player or AV controller etc), either by digital means (optical/Coaxial) or the old fashion Analogue RCA/3.5mm or 6.5mm plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back