Computer starts, but no video, no beep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI, I suddenly have a problem with my computer. It's custom built and it ran fine for almost a year. In the morning I still used it, but in couple of hours found it to be turned off. So I turn it on, all the fans start, mobo lights up, HDD runs, but no video on the screen. And also no beep, so POST or BIOS failed. Monitor is good. Memory is good. I suspect the processor has gone bad. Or possibly motherboard. I'm clueless...
It's a AMD Athlon 64 3500 AM2. MB is Asus M2N deluxe. Video is PowerColor X800 GTO. Corsair Memory 6400 (2x512).

I had a similar problem with an old Celeron once after an ill-advised attempt at overclocking it. After testing, unfortunately it turned out the processor was fried. but the motherboard and everything else was fine.

I suspect your problem is the same. I think one of the first things the BIOS must do is ask the processor to identify itself; thus it's pretty much the first thing that is displayed on the screen. So I guess no processor (or a fried one) means no BIOS start.

Hopefully someone will suggest a better possibility...

I have a similiar issue which I think it is cpu issue. I had an emachines that the psu looked to have fried the original mb along with the psu. So I got a cheap msi p4mam2-v board and a new power supply along with some different ram. The computer will go through the boot process, lights on the keyboard come on, the cd-rom drive will power up, and then the hard drive will power up. Once it gets past the harddrive, I don't get any farther. It acts like it's getting to the point where it's checking the cpu but won't get that far or it's checking the bios and possibly this mobo isn't any good. It also doesn't get to the point of checking the floopy drive. I'm leaning towards the CPU got fried when the psu took out the original mobo. There is no POST and I'm not getting any video on the monitor. It has a built in video card and when I unhook the monitor cable from the vga port, the monitor tells me there is no video signal, make sure to check the connection. So it looks like the video is working. I'm going to see if I can get another cpu to see if that works. Any other ideas that I might try?

Thanks

Ok, problem resolved. It was bad MotherBoard.
Since motherboards tend to get bad more often then CPUs, and you can buy motherboard and then later exchange it for something else (unlike the CPU), that it seemed like the logical start. And it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back