Computer suddenly (and strangely) rebooting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... my comp seems to be encountering one problem after another! Man, it's frustrating. Anyways,

I recently completely reinstalled Windows XP, because my computer was corrupted. And I mean REALLY corrupted.
Anyway, when I first logged in to the computer after the reinstall, I noticed all signs of the virus had gone away. In fact, everything seemed to be working normally.
Then, I went to Properties to change my computer desktop and adjust everything (resolution, etc) to the way it was before.
I was only on for a few minutes when suddenly, the computer rebooted. I didn't really worry about it, but I started to figure something was up because now, every time I log on, the computer is fine for about ten seconds, then the pointer mouse changes to the 'thinking' position, then suddenly by itself, the taskbar switches to Windows 2000 style... I don't know why. Then, the desktop changes to a plain blue background. A few seconds later, you hear the computer turning itself off, and then the computer reboots.
This problem seems to happen at basically the same time every time I turn on the computer.

I think it may have something to do with a failing RAM chip, or something to do with the power supply. Anyone got any good advice?
Thanks,

Hello KristinaT, I have similar problem on pc, but what I did was that I changed my Memory and my Hard drive, and reinstall another OS on the system. try to use another hardrive on desktope.

Hello KristinaT... the "10-second re-boot" tells me your processor isn't dissipating heat properly, causing the system to shutdown... Check your processor "heat-sink/fan assembly" for built-up dust. When that heatsink get's clogged, all that heat the processor put's out "has no where to go" - therefore overheating it and eventually hurting it and the motherboard.
Take a couple of cans of compressed air and blow out your heatsink/fan assembly first, then the power supply followed by the rest of the tower... I'll be watching this thread for your response :).

KristinaT, if you have critical info on the hard drive in this system, you can still "RECOVER it BEFORE you would have to format the drive" (this is in case the boot-sector is corrupted). TOTAL COMMANDER is an app that will let you move files from one drive to another... but "that" bridge can be crossed later, if necessary :).

~Shadowhawk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back