Computer suddenly crashing/resetting when playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

id3alistic

I don't know what's wrong. One day I was playing fable and then I exited. I was going to take out my wc3 CD out of the CD drive because I was going to play it on my other comp, but it wouldn't open. So I resetted the comp and then the CD drive opened. Next thing I know playing fable again, the computer all of a sudden resetted by itself. Now when playing any games, the computer would crash. Sometimes just clicking links and such would make my computer crash.

An error message sometimes pops up at the start of windows. The message s STOP 0x000000EATHREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER. It says that it's a graphics issue, but I installed the most recent drivers and it still doesn't work. The last resort says to replace my video card, but I'd like to hope that there's another way. When it crashes the screen turns black for a few seconds, then resets or instead of turning black, the colors and pictures of what's on my screen would just get all messed up. After turning off the autoreboot under system failure, all the screen does is stay black now. My video card is an ATI RADEON 9600

Note: I've had this video card for 2 years already.

I don't know why this is happening =\, but here's my minidumps if it helps.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

All your minidumps crash at your video card drivers. They all have a bugcheck of EA.

0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

As you can see. This is either a problem with your video card drivers, or with the card itself.

If your card is overclocked, reset it to the defaults.

Try uninstalling, and reinstalling the drivers. Maybe try a different version of the drivers.

Check your card for overheating. Make sure any fan on the card is running properly, and that the heatsink isn`t full of dust.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

id3alistic said:
Thanks, but how do I reset it to defaults? :confused:

Use whatever programme you used to overclock the card. Check out what the card is supposed to run at. You should be able to find the info by doing a Google search.

Regards Howard :)

Well the only way I know of overclocking is in Setup when you start up the computer. I'm pretty sure I didn't overclock the card or anything though.

I've also reinstalled the drivers, and the problem still occurs. Can't find any other versions for XP though.

id3alistic said:
Well the only way I know of overclocking is in Setup when you start up the computer. I'm pretty sure I didn't overclock the card or anything though.

I've also reinstalled the drivers, and the problem still occurs. Can't find any other versions for XP though.

That`s ok then. It was just that I got the impression that you had oc`d the card, when you asked me how to reset it to the defaults lol.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back