Computer to Computer Data Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got a new computer from the holidays, and a nice one at that. A Gateway (GM5260) which has a Intel Core Duo 2, 2048mb of DDR2 Duel-Channeled RAM, 320gb HDD, etc.

Now, I am trying to get all the information off my 120gb (like 30gb or less) HDD of my old computer onto my new computer's HDD. My question, being I've never had such a task before, how should I go about doing this?

Thanks!

use a cross-over cable if both have ethernet ports, or (old school) use a serial cable (much slower)- you will have to create a local network. A cross-over cable is a special kind of cat-5 cable with two sets of data cables reversed. You cannot use regular cat-5 cable. Any computer store will sell it.

The easiest way is to use an external hard drive.

I think I'll try what Kevin16 has suggested, as it would be the most convient. Also, I think it is a SATA. Plus the old computer is as the title says... "old." It has no faster USB ports or so, not even a network card slot. Very basic computer, so taking out it's 2 year old hard drive works fine with me (I got the computer in 2001).

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back