Computer turns on but does not run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

All of a sudden, my computer stopped working! It was functioning perfectly, and last saturday night I left on the whole night, and next day it was off. I pushed the on button and it turned on but thats it. No image, and it seemed not to be running the drives.
The Cd-Roms lights turn on, the fan runs but it seems to be everything running... I'm afraid it could be the CPU or even worse, the Motherboard. Does anyone have any idea of what is going on? I dont wanna take it to the Geek Squad because they will charge me $75 just to tell me what I am afraid the problem is!

Thanks!!
Jonathan

do you know how to reset cmos or bios
in my shop thats where I start after removing all unnecessary hardware
then check PSU
memory is next
it could be anything at this point
but if the hard drives don't even spin up
PSU likely cause then there's the board 2nd to PSU
had a double spike here and one machine's motherboard got shot down
all other parts worked
good luck and welcome to techspot best place on the net to fix ailing computer

Thanks for your reply!!
I removed the flat round battery from the motherboard and waited a couple of minutes (is that how you reset the BIOS?). Nothing happened...

How do I check PSU memory? That would be my next step.
I really appreciate your help!

Thanks

should be a jumper setting find manual for motherboard
find jumper setting
removal of battery can corrupt cmos be careful
there are 2 wires on the main connector that will start the PSU this is a temp jumper should not be left on for any length of time
the green and black google for PSU test
should have multimeter to check voltages from unit
another way get a known good PSU and attach to MB should poser on
if you have 2 stick of memory remove 1 test no video replace remove other test again (only works with non dual memory config's)
while you are doing these tests unplug from wall when removing hardware
do you here any beep codes when trying to start
I can understand why no geek squad TV show reported scams run by them and other computer repair shops
the most honest of them was circuit city

Hi i have asimilar problem my E machine will fir up and the cpu fan runs at high speed the h/d light comes on for a few seconds and nothing else i cant even get in to the bios have checked all the conection and removed all newly instaled hard ware with no luck can you please help/ as i have to use a much slower p3 at the mo and its slow lol. many thanks

this may seem silly but the last time i had that problem the cable connected to my monitor wasnt connected right.. hope this helps

magiclight

Thanks for all your help i have tried alsorts of things now diff grafix card diff memory to no luck. I would like to know firstly if there is a psu that is compatiable with the e-machine 8230 desck top if so wich one shold i get as i tech guy from pc world said that i could only use an emachine type one for the pc. Or can i replace the mother board for another type if so witch one could i get and what psu to buy.
Sorry for the long list i am fairly new to the new types of pc's
may thanks

I've just experienced a similar problem. I sat down in front of my computer ready to do some work when the monitor stopped receiving a signal. The PC gave me the impression it had reset. Nothing happened for a few minutes, so I manually reset my computer. My computer would turn on (fans, lights, etc.) but my disk drives would not work, and my sound and monitor never received a signal. I also never got references to the BIOS.

The fans ran as if they normally would, but I got nothing after turning on the unit. Could this possibly be related to the PSU as well?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back