Computer Upgade Socket 462

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer's motherboard has had it. I've been told its
socket 462. Im going to try and fix it myself, this is the
first time I've done anything with hardware. So what is
the best mother board I can buy that will fit.

Socket A boards are getting very rare, especially in the US. Things are easier in the UK, for instance:http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?ASR-K7S41G

Issues to consider are whether you have room for a full size ATX board or only a smaller mATX form factor. Also check processor support in the manual. Most socket A stuff is 133 or 166MHz bus speed, thought the Barton core 200MHz will usually be supported too, even with memory running slightly slower.

Worth thinking about what caused the failure too. A reasonable power supply with 300W and overvoltage protection is a good investment. I like FSP/Fortron stuff available at NewEgg.

People tell me they still get good gaming on Socket A/AGP graphics.:haha:

How do you tell if there is enough more for a ATX board.
Any brand preferences and the higher the MHz the better.

I highly recommend an Abit NF7-S 2.0 board if you still want to go with socket 462. It supports 400FSB and overclocks like a dream. I am currently running 2.4Ghz with an Athlon XP-M 2800+ and 2GB of Dual DDR RAM. I am also running a powerful 7950GT with 512MB memory with this motherboard. If you can find one it's worth every penny. They are a little scarce but I managed to get one off eBay for a little over $100.

first off, how do you know that your motherboard is bad? what problems are you experiencing that lead you to believe that your motherboard is the cause?

morgan said:
How do you tell if there is enough more for a ATX board
see what size your existing motherboard is. a full size ATX motherboard is 12" x 9.6", a mATX motherboard is 9.6" x 9.6"

morgan said:
Any brand preferences
ABIT, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte all made good boards for socket-A (462). for best performance, get a board based on the nVidia nForce2 chipset. my personal favorite mobo for socket-A was the Abit AN-7 (in fact I still have it, collecting dust in the closet ;))

morgan said:
the higher the MHz the better.
the "MHz" is determined by the processor. I was under the impression that you are keeping your socket-A processor and simply swapping the motherboard. but if you're planning to replace both of them then there is absolutely no reason to stick with socket-A.

:wave:

EXCellR8 said:
I highly recommend an Abit NF7-S 2.0 board ~ If you can find one it's worth every penny. They are a little scarce but I managed to get one off eBay for a little over $100.
it may be a nice board, but it's certainly not worth $100. IMO no socket-A board is worth $100 these days. AMD is now 3 generations past socket-A.

:rolleyes:

Not all of us can afford those nForce4 SLi, double video card, 3.2Ghz, 8GB RAM motherboards you now... It doesn't matter that socket 462 is obsolete, my system does what I need it to do and that's really all I care about. A friend of mine wasted over $2000 and bought a system to play a $50 game. I built this socket A system from scratch for under $500 and it runs the same game almost just as good.

I'm going to tell you to upgrade a bit more. To find a Socket A board is time-consuming and the money you put into it won't be worth it. If you must, go for it- but you can usually get a socket AM2 motherboard (one of the most recent AMD processor forms) with an Athlon 64 X2 and 512mb of DDR2 ram for probably around $150-$200 on newegg. Look around for more options. You can find boards that have integrated nVidia graphics if you have an older video card and don't want to go to PCI-E yet, or find a board with an AGP slot.

The performance increase will be far greater than spending $100 on an old motherboard.

A little research goes a long way.

EXCellR8 said:
Not all of us can afford those nForce4 SLi, double video card, 3.2Ghz, 8GB RAM motherboards you now... It doesn't matter that socket 462 is obsolete, my system does what I need it to do and that's really all I care about. A friend of mine wasted over $2000 and bought a system to play a $50 game. I built this socket A system from scratch for under $500 and it runs the same game almost just as good.

Just because it works for you doesn't mean there aren't other, better options. To spend almost the same amount of money on obsolete hardware is a bit absurd when prices are low these days. You can build an AM2 or LGA775 system for under $500 and it will run better than an old socket A.
Plus, whoever spent $2000 on a gaming machine either has a lot of money to waste or doesn't know what's going on. Ridiculous.

Here is my mother board I just Pulled out
Picture016-1.jpg

Picture015.jpg

I want to buy a mother board and cpu combo and the only reason I thought to remain with a socket 462 motherboard is that I dont want to change any of my accessories and case. Is there another board that will fit thats better. One problem is that I took photos so that I know how to put it back together if I got a different board it might be difficult to put back together unless there is guides.

my mother board has a a socket 754 and another has a socket 462 can the 754 ( small cpu) fit in the 462 ( big cpu)? plz anser.

compgeek said:
my mother board has a a socket 754 and another has a socket 462 can the 754 ( small cpu) fit in the 462 ( big cpu)? plz anser.

A processor's socket often refers to the number of pins on the processor and socket. This means that no, a skt 462 will not fit into a skt 754. When a manufacturer releases a new socket, the CPU often comes with new architectures and technologies so an old motherboard is unlikely to support these anyway.

Morgan, I don't have time to research it now, but you may be able to find a higher-spec motherboard with a different socket if you're buying a new CPU too. You'll need to look for a motherboard that has an AGP slot (for your current graphics card), DDR-1 slots for your memory, and sufficient ATA ports for your current removable drive configuration. For example, if you had 2 DVD or CD drives and 2 harddrives, you'd need 2 ATA IDE ports.

Like I said, you'll have to do some research of your own, but I'm pretty sure there are some higher-end spec motherboards than socket A that will include these features. I'm thinking faster single-core processors such as the AMD Athlon XP or Athlon 64.

Hi, I have a similar question. I have a socket FC-478. It's a MSI-865PE Neo-2P Platinum Edition. However I want to upgrade it to support PCI-E 16x. Is there any board out there that can operate with my cpu (Pentium 4 Extreme Edition Socket 478)?

I do not want to upgrade my CPU, as I have had it for years and works 100% perfect! It's current clock is 3.9GHz with only CPU temps of 48 on idle and 62 on 100%. Also my current setup is able to play BioShock on Ultra high Settings 30-46FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back