Computer will not boot-hardware issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdeath

I have a fry's computer with an ecs motherboard and 2.8ghz pentium 4. I run ubuntu studio as an os on it but I have had problems on it for quite some time now. It just randomly shuts off without warning (fans and everything stays on display goes blank) and when i try to restart it I just get a blank screen. I tested my power supply with a tester and it checks out ok. It raised suspicion cause sometimes everything just randomly cuts off fans and all. After a while it will just start working again until once again it randomly cuts off. I thought i could be the ram but i did a memtest and they check out ok. I have taken both out and just tried running each one solo. Still no results. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have found that those power supply testers are no good if you a an intermittent power supply. Way to confirm if your supply is bad, is to replace it with a spare one.

Your condition could be caused by a CPU fan not working, short on the MB, bad caps on the MB, but most likely the power supply.

have you checked on your temps? can you immediately turn it on after it switch off or do you have to wait a while?

overheating CPU (with a cause mentioned above) can create this effect of randomly switching off..

its been off for about 5 hours now and still will not boot. When I turn it on every thing comes on, the fans, lights on front, cpu fan, and everything else. Theres even a single faint short beep, and from what I understand, that means its posting as it should. Could that still be a power supply issue?

I replaced the motherboard about a year ago. Fry's techs said that was my problem but it had the same problem imediately when i got it back. Suddenly it stopped doing it until about a month ago. Does this give any insight? Could a power supply problem be that spasmodic?

Yes. Just get a new power supply, perferably one that costs more than $35, cheap ones are terrible.

Yes SNGX1275,
the USA power supplies $35 and below are very noisy. I bought 2 Rosewill Value Series 300 watt supplies for $14 plus shipping a few months ago. They were so noisy that I had to finally remove them. Their power operation was fine though... I replaced them with 450 watt Cooler Master supplies

a bad PSU is the most likely culprit. It could be a bad relay or something in the PSU. A tester works best with a multimeter.

But it would be far safer just to replace the PSU with a QUALITY one. Don't buy a no-name el cheapo , chinese brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back