Computer will not boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

geno2k3

Computer just shows a blinking line with my video card type kinda like this:

_
Radeon X800XL

(at the top left part of the screen)

Before i used to have this problem but then i would just press F8 to go boot to safe mode, regular way, ect. But now F8 and all the F(?) keys dont work. It just stays on this screen. (ive tried pressing delete and most of the buttons twice a second before i even see anything, still doesnt work.)

I did try to upgrade the bios version via .exe but then it said something about insert a floppy disc to burn it but i didnt have one so i thought everything was fine. My disc space is very low (under 200mb) does windows need more then that to boot? I tried putting in my WINXP PRO cd but i get nothing. PLEASE HELP!

Usually if this happens i would press F8 constantly and it will show the intel boot screen then ask me if i want to start windows normally, safe mode and all these other choices.

Please help! Ive been reading and this might be what they call a "bad flash".

When i tried to update my bios it might have actually installed the bios and i didnt complete the process. If this is the case am i screwed? Ugh.. im kicking myself.

Does your machine also have integrated graphics? I noticed that your graphics card is listed with the blinking cursor. Try removing it and using your integrated video. If Windows is installed and working right, that 200 MB's would not get in the way of a bootup. If your P.C. was booting fine, you didn't need to update the BIOS. Yeah, half of a BIOS flash is not good. When it asked you to burn the new BIOS on to a floppy, since you didn't have one: are you sure the BIOS got changed at all? Finally, since your hard drive is almost full...you will soon need to re install Windows on a new drive. I would do that, start fresh. You can re activate Windows with no problem.

Thanks for your reply.

My mobo:
D850GB
Bios = Intel

Ive tried alot of things, ive tried:

-Removing the jumper
*With restore CD inside
*With Bios install CD inside
(The restore CD failed and the Bios install CD seems like it is installing)
I dont know for sure what its doing because the monitor when the jumper is out is not connected to my PC. So far, no beeps on the bios install cd. I dont know if that is good or bad im just going to leave it in for a few.

-Moving the jumper to "Configure" mode.
(Nothing happend)

-Leaving the jumper in regular mode
*With restore CD
*With Bios install CD
(nothing)

My simple problem of my computer not booting up has gone from bad to worse. I dont think if i will ever see that golden windows xp loading screen again. Is this mobo dead? ARGG! ill keep you posted.

if u shut the machine down in the middle of a BIOS flash, I would say to contact the mobo. manufacture and see if there is anything they will do to help u. that is a big no no and most likely they are the only ones that can help unless u know someone that can put a new BIOS chip in the mobo.

There is some hope.

During the bios update it asked me to burn some data to a floppy disc to finish the installation. I was an ***** and didnt do that and just shut down the computer. Intel mobos have a recovery mode that either need a floppy or cd to recover your bios. I've tried the CD and it just keeps on beeping in intervals of TWO. I've learned that two beeps means there is nothing in the floppydisc drive (recovery disc needed in recovery mode). That means i will have to get the recovery file onto a floppydisc while its in recovery mode (aka removing the bios jumper) Problem is i dont have a floppydisc. Hopefully this works.

if you can boot into safe mode ,try uninstalling video card and rebooting to let windows try to rinstall video card

Id be happy to even boot at all since im stuck at the black screen. But since your talking about video cards, can updating the bios actually cause the video card to damage the computer itself or even have something to do with the fact that im not booting?

It sounds to me like a bad flash so you've ended up having no BIOS.

All I can recommend is contact the manufacturer and get a new BIOS chip or find one on the net somewhere and replace the chip you have now.

i would recommend going to biosman.com, it depends on what type of bios you have, but replacing it can be pretty easy. mine, i just yanked it out with a couple of bent paper clips, put the new one in, and bam!, new bios installed.

Having no bios is my doom. Im not gonna spend money on this old computer, i might as well buy a new one. Thanks for all your help.

Im still gonna try getting the floppy disc and resuming the installation of the bios. Hopefully since that was the last step in installing my bios that will work.

If anyone has anymore ideas, please feel free to help.

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES AND HELP!

I finally got my floppy disc and put the recovery file on it and booted my computer up. Nothing happened. Took out the jumper and booted it up. Nothing Happened. I almost lost hope at this point thinking that my computer was dead. So i tried the last thing i thought would be the problem, my video card. With a little muscle i managed to wrestle my x800xl out and put my old geforce 2 in. The moment i powered up i started seeing diagnostic messages... then i knew i was going to be fine. I set up bios and now im on the very computer that i thought was doomed. Thanks for all your help, this is a success story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back